Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradarmi

Helianthus in the perrenial border

bradarmi
15 years ago

I searched this forum a couple of times and couldn't realy find any info regarding Helianthus mollis, per se; so excuse any duplicate posting. I ordered some plants from Prairie Moon for the first time and decided to get some native sunflowers. After reading some info about them, I am a little scared about putting them in a suburban perrenial bed for the fact that 1. they might take over the bed and 2. their roots will inhibit other plants from growing close by (allelopathy). Since I plant as much as possible, this kind of limits what I can put into my one sunny bed.

I was thinking about sequestering them somewhat by putting them on the south side of a fence that has about 10 x 3 feet of space between it and a walkway. This is the entrance to our backyard and there is realy nothing near it and the soil isn't the greatest (which I think they like anyway). During the growing season, the sun is high enough to clear the house and this particular spot of the yard has clematis, climbing roses, sedums, and dianthus with no problem. This area is also very hot since the deck walkway and the houses' brick heat it in the summertime. Any thoughts?

I have come to the "greener side" and decided it is better to have one or two nice healthy rose bushes than a yard of dilapitated ones. That being said I came over to the native foums since they are low care and not fussy.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting