Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celticgarden

American Meadows seed

celticgarden
14 years ago

I have ordered seeds from this company and wonder about your thoughts and opinions. Anyone else using them? I am just a homeowner with a .4 acre lot looking to pretty up some areas. I'll be flame weeding a bare patch in the front yard where some pines used to grow. It's been crabgrass since we cut the trees down (planted 50 years back waayy too close to the house and chimney). Should I lime first? The soil must be very acidic as the turf grass we tried last year never took. If it were me alone we wouldn't have a lawn at all, well, maybe some in the back yard for the kids!

Linda

Comments (2)

• seamommy
    14 years ago

Wow, not sure I'd take the chance on throwing out expensive flower seeds in an area that wouldn't even support turf grass a year ago. I'd probably give that area a couple years to sweeten up. Lime yes, and maybe some compost and zeolite, to help balance the ph. Crabgrass and other noxious weeds won't grow in healthy soil, so when those plants begin to disappear, that's when to use those flower seeds. Cheryl

• celticgarden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update - I flamed, limed (with quick acting, dug and planted all in the same weekend. Seeds came up just fine. Grass seed too in the path area. Guess I did something correct. Now if we ever get some SUN here in Connecticut the flowers will take off. After all this rain they probably have a good root sytem. I'll share pictures when the flowers arrive.

all the best Linda

Sponsored