Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new planting

Posted by JulieBW z5 NY (My Page) on
Sun, May 15, 05 at 14:04

With a group I planted a seed mix last fall after preparing the site last summer: cardboard topped with leaf mold, removed weeds, planted in mid October using a mix from Wild Seed Farms. Right now I have seen only two kinds of seedlings: annual bachelor's buttons, and lots of something unfamiliar to me. Shouldn't I be seeing a greater variety of seedlings at this time?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new planting

No..not really.
I sowed my small area in November of 2003 and I didn't see much except a few annual Coreopsis,about 3 small perennial type Coreopsis, Black-eyed Susans, some grasses,and Blue flax by June/July 2004...In August I started seeing lots more that had started coming up like Blanket Flower, Dotted Mint, and many more seedlings that were just slow to show. This spring (2005) is exploding in new plants that didn't germ year 1 and way more grasses are evident. It's definatley not something to expect fast results when doing a wildflower planting (on any scale) unless you spend lots of money and put in plants!! I'm learning patience and it really fun to go out there and see what's new...right now the only thing I see knew is a gazillion Spittle Bugs on my plants LOL! Little buggers anyways :)The Ladybugs are hangin out and I hope there getting fat.

Vera

o
RE: new planting

Just re-read your post...Batchelor's Buttons are non native exotics...very heavy seeders and ivasive. Here they are being decided on whether or not to add to the Noxious weed watch list. It freely grows in waist places, road sides, hillsides, and just about any crack or crevice with some dirt it can find! The empty weedy acre or so lot across from us is filled with them...not completely but close...all escapees from my neighbor!

Vera

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here