Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My California Wildflower meadow

Posted by NickRose Z9 San Mateo, CA (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 14 at 20:20

In mid winter I cut out some grass near my front yard hedge and spread some wildflower seeds. I experimented with three mixes to see which one did the best. The three mixes were a California mix, Butterfly mix and a hummingbird mix. Out of the three the California mix is doing the best, so I will collect the seeds and spread it into the other two sections.

This time around I did not spread any grass seed but I will do that next time. When should I spread the grass seed. Do I mix it with the wildflower seeds or wait until the wildflowers have grown a few inches and then spread the grass seed to fill in gaps.

I have three grasses in mind. The three are, Purple Needle Grass, California Fescue and Idaho Fescue. Purple needle grass is my first choice. Out of the three would this be the best choice for a wildflower mix.

IMG_0297a

IMG_0298a

IMG_0301a

IMG_0299a

These last three pictures are from my wildflower patch in the backyard.
IMG_0306a

IMG_0251a

IMG_0252a

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My California Wildflower meadow

lovely, lovely, lovely. thank you.

o

Yes, I agree, very lovely. Cool that you are planning to add some native grasses. Are you also planning to expand the width of the bed in front of the hedge - I think that would look nice.

I live further north than you so can't speak to your conditions from personal experience, but think late summer/early fall is good time to plant (cool season) grass seed where you are at. If you get your seed locally they can give you advice.

You'll want to keep an eye on what is germinating. Annual flowers will grow more quickly than perennial grasses and can smother them, so I would recommend pulling some of them out to give your grass seedings some breathing room. Or, if the planting area is small you might want to just use plugs / small plants instead of seed.

o

Thank you. I will be expanding it a little more maybe 1' in some areas and maybe 3' in other areas. There is a native plant nursery in Half Moon Bay that has grasses so I can ask them further for advice.

_L9Z9687a

_L9Z9691a

_L9Z9689a

This is in my backyard. It was for any local Mason Bees but none have come by so this leaf cutter me is calling it home.
Leaf Cutter Bee 1

o

Here some updated pictures of the wildflowers I have in the backyard. All the seeds were spread beginning of this year. In the pictures you'll see Zinnia, Salvia, Bee Balm, Cleome, Hyssop and CA Poppies. All the wildlife love this area, especially the birds since I have a small water dish on the ground.

Wildflower Backyard 1

Zinnia 1

Zinnia 2

Bee Balm 1

Bee Balm 2

Cleome 2

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here