Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mystery plant

Posted by weegz4ca (My Page) on
Sat, May 22, 04 at 20:47

got a western wildflower mix from applewood farms last spring.mid summer i had a beautiful bed of many annuals,and some perrenials.from what i gather after the first year you might get new perrenials that did not show themselves in the first year of germination.my question is-when things first started to appear there was something that looked alot like a dandilion.im thinking oh poop,im going to have a lot of weeding to do.however its now close to the summer solstice and these dandilion looking plants have grown in some cases a foot tall and their leaves,instead of being broad-leafspikey,are about 6 inches long and 2 inches wide and have none of the shape one would ordinarily attribute to a dandilion.im thinking this is one of the second year perrenials--or the weed from hell.
any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated,
thanks,weeg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mystery plant

I have something like you are describing growing in my area I sowed last fall....I have dandelions in the lawn that shoot up their dandilions long before the leaves get that long! Sooo I'm going let it go and see what happens :)
Are the inner-most center leaves fringy'er looking?

Vera

o

Are the leaves fuzzy? If they are, sounds maybe like hawkweed or King Devil, neither of which you want!

o

vera,ahughes,
thank you for your responses-no vera, the innermost leaves are not fringery looking.and no ahughes-either are the leaves fuzzy(i think i might have what you term hawkweed or king devil in there-gotta love those names despite their possible negatives).i have recently discovered lateral shoots emerging from them,i am almost positive they are a perenial showing its face in the second year.i might be mistaken.it looks like withen the next few weeks they may blossem in which case i will be mucho happy as there are soooo many of them.if and when this occures i should be able to easily identify them-with the help of the seed dealer from which they came-and post my happy discovery that my unfounded worries were the result of a relative newbie doing a little unwarranted stressing.LOL.
once again thanks for your responses,
weeg

o

it was an evening primrose.in my opinion not the most desirable flower in the world--but heck--its green.

o

Look on the Hort database at tragapodon pratensis, or goat's beard or meadow salsify. Is this your plant? It grew wild in Wisconsin where I once lived. It has an edible root, and there is a cultivated vegetable form called salsify or oyster plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: meadow salsify; goat's beard

o

havenheart,
thanks for your response-yea this is definitly primrose-however its interesting you bring up salsify.native to my neck of the woods.an extremely drought tolerent-hardy flower that probably doesnt get its fair share of attention.
thanks again for your response--weeg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here