Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring vs. dormant prairie seeding?

Posted by chris_7oaks 5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 15, 13 at 23:27

Wondering if anyone has had success with prairie seed plantings this time of year? Looking at short mixes from Prairie Moon (MN) & Prairie Nursery (WI) to seed a septic mound & adjacent area 3,000 sq ft. I hit the area with roundup last fall, and twice this spring. The area looks to be in pretty good shape. I keep hearing that I should keep after the weeds all year, maybe plant a temporary cover crop, and dormant seed late fall. Not thrilled about looking at a dead zone all summer if I wait for fall. Just wondered if anyone has experience planting spring vs. fall. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring vs. dormant prairie seeding?

We seeded several acres to prairie last spring,
June if I remember correctly as it was to wet earlier. Right after it was seeded we went into drought mode so no germination last year except for a few black-eyed Susan. I went to check it out a few days ago and the grasses are coming up as well as a variety of forbs. I guess you could say it ended up being dormant seeded.

o

Chris, if you can tolerate a summer's worth of ugly, it is better to do the dormant seeding. Nature-frost actually-has a way of setting seeds at just the right depth. Also, and this is important, doing a fall seeding will indeed give you the opportunity to do one or two more non-selective herbicide treatments. If you're getting rain, then you're getting lots of new weeds. It is most helpful to get at them this year, and have your desired vegetation begin life next spring.

+oM

o

Thank you hostaholic2 and wisconsitom for sharing your experience. I've decided keep after the weeds, and do a dormant planting late this fall. Hopefully my patience will pay off! Thanks again...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here