Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is this pink pasture flower? Pix included

Posted by ocnative1964 z8 OR (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 19, 06 at 1:14

Hello,

I have the most awesome flower that grows in my pasture. it has small pink flowers that grow up the top of the stem a total of about 10 inches. it has reddish stem, and long green leaves. the entire plant grows about 30-36 inches tall. it get sun all day except late afternoon.

I couldne find it last year, (may not have been out at the correct time) but it is in bllom mid june. I tried to transplant one 2-3 years ago but it didnt do anything.

oh and we are in the willamette vally just south of portland OR

thanks for your help

here are some pix of it.

http://pnps.smugmug.com/gallery/885029/1/76327260

thanks so much, I love this flower.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: photos.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is this pink pasture flower? Pix included

Looks like Dames Rocket....a introduced weed around here in eastern WA escaped from gardens and often included in wildflower mixes.
You will find huge stands of it in vacant lots and roadsides, etc. here in Eastern WA

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images....Dames Rocket

o

looks much different, mine the flowers are not in clumps at the top of the stem, the bloom up the stem is sort of a cone shape.

also these are not at all invasive, they on my 5 acres there are maybe 4-6 stems total and they are about 20 feet apart,

mystery.

o

Ok my bad! Then I bet it's Fireweed AKA Willow Weed; it's an Epilobium LOL!!

Try this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images....Epilobium angustifolium

o
Fireweed

Here is a better description and a pic of leaves too...

Vera

Here is a link that might be useful: Oregon State U.......Fireweed

o

That is Fireweed (Epilobium angustifolium). A native plant that can be quite common in the right places, expecially following clearing or burning. In Alaska it is the most conspicuous wildflower and grows everywhere. It isn't invasive in the non-native vegetation sense of the term, but can be a bit aggressive in a garden.

This plant is native from Alaska to Virginia to California, but can be sort of rare in many parts of the range.

o

thanks so much. that is one of the prettiest "weeds" i've ever seen.

I guess I should not try to interduce them to my garden, and just enjoy them in the pasture!!!

Dave

o

yes that is definately fireweed. how do i know, cuz it looks exactly like the fireweed that has just started to flower in my part of the world. by the way, they like a disturbed areas, like ladyslipper mentioned. they like roadside hillsides because they persist in the errosion.

froggy.

o

Wow..That was a nice picture. I think the flower is from Alaska. I have seen somewhere in Alaska and on the way to Alaska. You can ask about that flowers from the flower shops in Alaska.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.avasflowers.com

o

That's a weed?! never seen a weed that pretty. LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.floweradvisor.com.my

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here