Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify this daisy

Posted by Ohiogal z5-6 OH (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 21, 04 at 9:11

I wish I knew how to post a photo, but I will have to describe this "daisy". The flower is a flat yellow 3-4" daisy with a smooth purple-brown center, There are 13 petals which open surrounded by green fuzzy bracts, each petal has a cleft at the end, and are blooming now here in Ohio. One popped up in my garden. The plant is 3' tall and has thick very fuzzy stems and fuzzy medium green leaves which are about 3-4" wide and ovate and point down. No basal rosette, just stem leaves widely spaced, thicker at the top where the flower is. Any clues? I have searched and searched.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify this daisy

maybe downy sunflower?

o

Off the top of my head, is it a Rudbeckia hirta? The annual/short-lived perennial varieties have VERY fuzzy stems & leaves. I have some in my garden (the 'Autumn Colors' kind).

o

Thanks for the input you guys. It most likely is Rudbekia hirta, something I have never grown or seen, but the flowers look like Rudbekia. What the sites fail to tell me is how fuzzy the plant is, as this to me is its main identifying feature.

Amy, I bet that's what it is.

o

It's the fuzziest plant I've ever had! I love the flowers! :o)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here