Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homequaker1

yarrow - invasive?

homequaker1
18 years ago

I have white yarrow in my garden. It has spread into my meadows. I am wondering if I should be concerned about this. Will it take over and smother any natives that might be in the meadow? At this point, one meadow is mostly grasses that we have mowed annually. The other meadow does have some native flowers which I'm encouraging. We also mow it annually. Should I dig up the yarrow in the meadows? Or maybe cut off the flowers before they go to seed?

Thanks!

Anita

Comments (7)

• joepyeweed
    18 years ago

yarrow is invasive. i am not familiar with it though. i havent had to control it myself. i am sure someone here will be able to offer some suggestions.

• rayallen
    18 years ago

Hi. Yarrow is extemely invasive. It spreads from not only seed, but even more rapidly by roots. I know a man who planted a wildflower mixture with white yarrow (Achillea millefolium) in it, and in two seasons, his whole meadow was solid yarrow. To rid himself of it, he had to roundup with herbicide twice, till several times, and work hard at it for over two years. Yarrow is handsome, and makes a great groundcover in areas where you want solid single species coverage, but if you can stop yours, do. Otherwise, it will march quickly across your open areas. (You don't have the horrible situation my friend had, since he had seeded it as a mixture, and so had yarrow evenly distributed all over his meadow. If you can isolate your areas, you'll be fine. The real damage is done QUICKLY by the expansion of underground roots.)

• froggy
    18 years ago

im not sure i would call it invasive where i live, more like a nuisance in an disturbed site. even the side of the road DOT10 fescue mix out competes yarrow. its not very invasive in a stand of tallgrass.

froggy

• homequaker1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for info. I will get out to meadows tomorrow and dig it up.
    Anita

• RUDE_RUDY
    18 years ago

I have yarrow on my place, it is not invassive here.
    It is native isn't it? I like it. Foliage and flower are both nice. It makes a tasty tea.
    It is in some of my prairie restoration fields and does spread some, but it is not aggressive here in the Ozarks with our dry rocky soil.
    I tend to think that more conservative native prairie species will out compete yarrow in the long term.
    If I go to war I can find plenty of other alien species to attack, like tall fescue, plantain, bush honeysuckle,
    sericea lespadeza. some clovers, multi flora rose etc.

• stevein
    18 years ago

I too don't have a problem with common yarrow. I believe that its exact origin is something of a source for debate with the common belief that some strains are native and others are Eurasian imports.

Strolling around nearby pastures, I've most often found Yarrow in fairly isolated clumps. Compared to Queen Anne's lace, it seems pretty tame and well behaved.

• homequaker1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Based on the replies I received and my own observation, I decided that the common white yarrow I have is spreading too fast in my meadows. Seems some is native and some european. I cut off the flower heads, and where possible, cut the plants down. We will mow in the fall. I will see what it looks like next spring. I can't dig it up because the ground is too dry.
    Thanks for the input.
    Anita

Sponsored