Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trumpet vine??

Posted by
Kim.MI - 5
(Lindsey@cbpu.com) on
Fri, Jun 26, 98 at 9:18

Me again! Can anyone tell me the best way to take a cutting or dig up a section of trumpet vine? I believe this is what the plant is, as i have seen it in magazines and here on the web.

there is a huge growth of it just down the road in the ditch on the neighbors cattle fence, growing up over the fence and on a tree stump.

I would love to have some on a trellis in the yard as another neighbor does. What is the best way to take some and have it survive?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trumpet vine??

Before you get some of this vine on your property, be advised of its aggressive tendencies. It tends to spread profusely by seed, often waiting several years after establishment in the original planting. Birds love the seeds, or they just spread by wind. Either way, the little vines start appearing everywhere on your property. It may be more than you bargained for.

Trumpet vine is not native to the North. When brought here it can withstand our winters well. But it tends to act just like an aggressive foreign invader, even though it's from this continent. Watch out.

o
Spreading trumpet vine......

Thanks for the warning, but I have only ever seen it around here in a few places. I wonder if it just doesn't do as well here or if everyone eradicates it?

o

hi Kim!

I just started trumpet vine in my yard, and a couple of the starts came from a friends yard. They were actually suckers she pulled right out of the ground and had stuck in a bucket with some water and with weeds, etc. in it. (She planned on tossing them). She gave them to me bare root, and I planted them in June, and guess what, they are happy as clams now. Didn't think they would make it at first, but evidently they are tough. Yes, I have heard they can be aggressive, but have an ugly chain link fence I am trying to cover up. They are quite beautiful, and I understand they do attract hummers! Many natives tend to be a little aggressive, but I think it's a small price to pay for their beauty!

Good luck and happy gardening!

o

On the plains of eastern Colorado, 6 miles SE of Boulder, they are great hummingbird flowers,
When the trumpet vines bloom, the hummers are on their way. They are great tough plants.
They spread by shooters. But don't seem to get carried away enough to be serious pests.

o

Trumpet vines come up by underground runners, and spread like ground covers. Don't plant it anywhere near your house because it also has invasive suckering roots that will destroy your masonry, wood siding, or eventually, even vinyl siding. All in all, this is one of those plants best left to be admired from a distance.

o

I've never had a problem with this being too aggressive and it does not go dormant here. It spreads by seeds, underground runners and the vine will root where it touches the ground. For at least 7 years I have had it in the backyard where it grows up one telephone pole and nowhere else. It is very attractive to butterflies also.

o

I was given a trumpet vine seed pod @ wk today, being
November in the north I don't quite know what to do with it
-should I 'pot' it for winter-keeping? Or put it in the ground
as is for spring growth? Thanx for any help.....

o

I echo the warning to be careful of the agressive nature of this plant!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

Kim,

I don't know how to propigate the Trumpet vine, but I don't think you have to worry too much about it being invasive. My Mother-in-Law also told me it was invasive, but its been growing in one spot along the creek at our house in South Jersey for many, many years, and hasn't spread very much at all. I'm going to try starting it in another spot this spring using one of the shooters.

o

• Posted by
    Larry Whitehouse - Ft. Worth, Tx
    (lvw@home.com) on
    Thu, Jun 10, 99 at 21:57

We planted trumpet vines knowing full well of the aggressive reputation of the vine. We regularly use boiling water on the ever occurring shoots that pop up in the area of the plant. Our problem is that the growth is so great that the plant must be chopped back regularly. By doing this we can keep it on the fence and looking pretty nice. However, the reason for the investment in the first place was the beautiful blooms that come with the plant. Regrettably, ours doesn't bloom. We've probably had only a dozen or so blooms in the five or six years we've had the vines. Any body have an idea of how we can slow down the growth and get flowers?

o

Larry,

For best results: no or very little fertilizer(lower N, higher P); give the vine as much sun as possible; prune off this seasons growth next winter(Feb) when plant is dormant; provide soil that drains well and water as needed; don't kill or poison the ants around your vine(I've heard they are necessary and I see jillions of them on my Madam Galen T.V. which are covered with blooms now); last but not least - patience. Good luck,

Dale

o

I planted what I was told was a Trumpet vine 3 years ago. It is planted in full sun, and fedand watered regularly.
It seems to be growing well, but has not yet blossomed.
Any helpful hints would be appreciated

o

When pruning the trumpet vine do you leave only the main stem and cut off all branches each year? My vine has been in for 3 years and this year it has had only about 6 flower clumps. Why do some vines produce so many flowers and others very few or none at all?

o

We're trying to find out how to get rid of the trumpet vine.My mother has so much of it spreading around her yard.It has wrapped itself around a rose bush and smothered it to death.She'd really like to get rid of it,if anyone has any suggestions on how to do this,please let me know.Soon!
Kathy

o

I have about 6 or 8 seed pods and would like to know how to handle them i.e. do I dry the pods or open the pods and dry the seeds? When, were, and how do I plant the seeds or the pods? What type of soil does it need also water and sun? Can anyone help?
Thanks

o

I noticed in a message above that Trumpet vine is not native to the North. It is, however, native to and common in the Middle Atlantic states, easily growing well in sunny spots everywhere from Virginia to Long Island and southern New England.

As for getting rid of it, I've recently done in some poison ivy with "Brush Be Gone," and I suspect if carefully applied to the leaves and stems of Trumpet vine on a dry, still day, it would kill the Trumpet vine. It will also kill any grass or valuable plants it gets in contact with, but it has a foaming action that marks where it lands, so with care you might not have a problem working with it. Since it is a poison, wear gloves, and do not breathe in any fumes, as indicated on the instructions, if you choose to go this route.

o

i have trumpet vines and was wondering if i should prune them or what to do with them. i had tons of blooms this summer, they looked very pretty
but i am wondering what to do with cutting back for the winter? if you have any ideas i would love to hear them

thank you

o

Need to know how to prepare a trumpet vine for winter in northern Wisconsin. Have not had the blooms yet and want to get it ready for the cold winter up here. Do you cover it with mulch or do you lay it down and cover it? Any help would be appreciated.

o

I purchased 2 trumpet vines from K-mart in May - gallon pots and provided a trellis for each one. They had completely covered the trellis by mid July and were covered with blooms. All I did was water them regularly.
However, I am not sure what to do to prepare them for an Iowa winter. I was going to cut them back to the ground, but
I'm afraid they won't bloom next year. If anyone knows, I would appreciate the information. Thanks a million.

o

Here in the Pacific Northwest, the trumpet vine goes wild. To make them bloom feed them a 0-10-10 or a 5-10-10, or ignore them. To Kill them put on chemical resistant gloves and cover them with cotton gloves and dip into a solution of crossbow and wipe the vines down with your hands. This avoids damage to any other plants.
If you plant them in a dry , sunny space and don't water them after the first summer they shouldn't be so invasive.
Also, I have found that if you keep any runners that hit the ground and take root cut off for the first two years they make better covers on fences. they will grow up toward the light and most of the new groth is on the top. Kae

o

Trumpet vine is extremely invasive...such a beautiful flower that attracts a beautiful hummer! Be advised...I lived in an old Denver neighborhood (1930's)and Trumpet vine was growing rapidly under sidewalks and into yard area. Roots were found at least a foot deep or more when we dug for a pond. It's a monster underground. I'd contain it as if it were running bamboo.

Paul

o

can i dig up a small trumpet vine and put it somewhere else in full sun?

o

Trumpet-vine or trumpet creeper (Campsis radicans) this is definetly not a plant for confined areas. I checked in my Manual of Vascular Plants (Gleason and Croquist) book and found the following. Stems to 10 meters or more (for those not up to date on their metrics, one meter equals about 3.3 feet, that's 33 feet plus. Glow in moist woods, fence-rows, and roadsides. I have observed them to over grow barns in Kentucky when left unchecked. Their native range is listed as New Jersey to Ohio and Iowa, and south to Florida and Texas, and often escaped from culture farther north (no need to worry about over-wintering in Iowa Polly). Yes they are a favorite of hummingbirds. However be prepared for severe pruning to restraint growth. They may over take your house. By the way, the catalpa is a family member of the trumpet-vine. Both belong to the family Bignoniaceae.

o

in zone 5 do we leave this trumpet vine in/ cut it down over winter? cover it up? dig it out? HELP PLEASE NAN

o

I need some information on how much to prune trumpet vines.Mine flowered beautifully this year and don't want to ruin them.

o
Trumpet Vine is Good

I believe that a plant is only as invasive as you allow it to be. It's not like it comes into your home and takes your children without warning. An experienced gardener checks on things on a regular basis, cutting out what is not wanted.

Invasive is the word one uses for "I didn't check on my plants for a long time and this thing grew a lot."

I have millions of trumpet vines all over our property and love them. They are gorgeous and attract the wildlife. I even saved several hundred pods I found along the highway.

:-)

If you see it growing wild and you want some, just pull it up, stick it in a pot of dirt and water. It's that easy.

o

Invasive-schmasive. Relax for Goodness' sakes. Let the little hummers have their plants. They love them like butta'.

o
Don't plant trumpet vine!

Trumpet vine is highly invasive! Beware! In the summer of 1999, I moved into a central Iowa house built in 1921. There is a towering cottonwood tree straddling the boundary between my back yard and the yard behind mine. Trumpet vine grows halfway up the tree. Since I was an innocent first-time homeowner, I first thought the vine was pretty. I now view it much differently! I imagine the vine is many years old. It has spread a network of roots throughout my backyard and up to my house. It pops up wherever it chooses, swallowing rose bushes, ferns, hostas, peonies, phlox, lilies, and the other lovely plants I would prefer to see. 25 to 30 new vine plants appear in the lawn between mowings. Without regular “search and destroy “ missions, it climbs up the side of my house. It has already damaged some of the wood siding. Last summer it began growing into the air conditioner. My goal for this summer is to eradicate that monster! Unfortunately, it has also infested neighboring yards so even if I am succesful, it will probably keep coming back.

o

Ya talk about invasive plants, the plant crept through my bedroom window one night, and wrapped its tendrils around my feet! I awoke when it began dragging me out the window. My wife called 911 and the cops expended 100 rounds of.45 caliber ammo just to subdue that sucker. Finally an EMT threw a chain around the back bumper of the ambulance and hooked onto one of the vines. When the chain tightened up it ripped the bumper off the truck, and the vine swallowed the whole thing, chain, bumper and license plate! Be careful where you plant that thing.

o

• Posted by
    Maserati2 z6b Detroit sub
    (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 24, 01 at 10:36

Now that was one healthy plant Ben. And what fertilizer do you use?

o

YOU CAN NOT KILL A TRUMPET VINE. I have one that is on south west corner of my house. the house is a story and a half , the SOB climbed up and puled down my drain gutters and ruined my roof. I sprayed it with round up and it thought it was candy. I repaired the roof and replaced the gutters and cut the thing down to the ground. the next summer it was 30 ft in the air and pulling on my gutters. it also came up thirty feet away in my rose garden going under 2 side walks. if you plant this plant you must be prepared to give your garden over to its beauty and you had
better love the beast.
the troll

o

If this vine is such a darned envasive monster, and can't be killed easily, why aren't houses and whole neighborhoods covered by them? What does stop them, and why haven't they spread everywhere? Just wondering.

o

Because here in zone 5 it only grows from April to October, so it stays reasonably small, especially when one prunes it back in the fall/winter.

Ben

o

• Posted by
    mrstevenson 5
    (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 23, 01 at 22:26

Trumpet vine will sprout if you plant its seeds or seed ponds under a rock, it can also me controlled using a lawn mower frequently to control runners, and it makes a beautiful fall/winter statement if you cut it back to the main trunk. It likes sun and something to grow on and up, a tree will do. Once the host dies from the stress then the plant will keep on growing as a bush. You must take the upper hand in this relationship. I have seen this plant remodelling abandoned homes in the country. My hummingbird friends love it and I do also even though it threatens my scotch pines every year. Think of the dandylion and you must realize that you are adopting its vining soul-sister. In sunny locations it will bloom very early in the year but dead head it to extend the harvest. I assume that this works but an added benefit is that you only fight the runners and not the seedlings. If you try yellow trumpet tell me how it works!

o

Hi I live in Rochester, NY and just this past Spring I planted my trumpet vine and I am not sure what I am supposed to do with now in the fall. It still has a lot of vines on it and leaves. Do I cut it back to ground level or do I just leave it alone. Actually I have this same question for my butterfly bush also. As you can see I am not much of a gardener, but sure do like pretty plants
Thanks for anyones help

o

I'm in Southern Ontario, a little north of Sandy Klinke. My trumpet vine dies back to the ground after frost, then comes back in the spring. Some of the wood is alive in the spring and buds out, the rest doesn't, but the plant grows quite big every year despite the dieback. Leave it alone, and check in the spring. Mine is very slow to leaf out in the spring, wait at least until mid June before you decide it is dead.

Butterly bush is a not a shrub, it is a perennial (it will die back even if you don't cut it) and will come back with new shoots from the ground in the spring.

o

Haaaaaaaaaa ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!! This is by far the most entertaining post and response I've seen so far on gardenweb!!!!!!!!!!!! I especially enjoyed the post from : sonshine@adamswells.com ! Today I spent an hour getting my trumpet in check... I've never done it in 7 years, so there were two large "babies" I took out, and am digging up several dozen tiny babies....I pruned the mom wayyyyyyyyy back. Ripped her off my fence ( she grows on a 5' pole and is umbrella shaped.) This is a good way to grow them, as they don't have the run of a whole fence or house or....town! They climb up their little post, and the branch out, and all you have to do is keep their little arms at a certain length. It's easy...all I have to do is keep check on the babies, but in 7 years, I've only seen the hummers on the trumpet vine. They love it. And I wouldn't get rid of it for anything. Takes some babysitting, but they're worth it, just ask the hummers! Cheers!

o

There is a trumpet vine growing in a local cemetary here in central MN that seems pretty well-mannered. I'm just amazed by its winter-hardiness, almost no die-back even through -35 F winters. I collected the seeds of it this fall, and plan to plant the seedlings around our farm next fall. How large do you think they will be by then?

If anyone is curious as to how to stratify this or any other woody species, go to www.sheffields.com. They sell seeds to all the major nurseries in the US. They say 60 days of cold stratification is needed to germinate trumpetcreeper. I just planted some out in our garden this fall, scattered thousands along the fenceline of our pasture, and still have hundreds I may stratify in my fridge and start indoors. Peace.

o

It`s invasive and aggressive in my area...Only one step up from KUDSU.

o

If I provide plenty of water, would July be too late to plant a trumpet vine?

o

Gee, my trumpet vine stays on the fence across from my house and apart from taking over a hackberry tree that the utility company had killed anyway, it behaves itself. I've never seen any runners, babies or anything in my yard or in the pasture beyound the fence. We have lots of trumpet vine in the fence rows but I don't bother it other than to trim occasionally. The hummers do love it.

o
Answers to a few questions...

In my humble opinion, in the north, trumpet vine can be kept to within a reasonable size, although, as one post mentioned, I wouldn't plant it next to a house. Mine is planted on an ugly chain link fence in my back yard. Yes, it is a bit like the plant in Little Shop of Horrors, but it is beautiful in bloom.

In the south, they are probably much more invasive.

Answers...

Starting new plants--it is easiest to dig up a sucker from another plant, or, if the branches are left on the ground, they will root and you can separate the vine with new roots attached and plant them.

Transplanting--I would wait until fall. Many parts of the east have been going through an exceptionally hot summer with little rain, so I would wait another 3-4 weeks until the summer heat breaks.

Fertilizing--I don't recommend it. These guys don't need any help!

Care--Mine never get supplemental water and/or fertilizer. They are extremely drought tolerant (at least in the north). It just takes them a few years to get going.

Blooms--They can take up to 5 years to bloom. They are very slow to mature. The blooms form at the tips of the vine so if you prune them before they bloom you may not get any blooms.

Pruning--You can prune them at any time, but a general rule of thumb for shrubs and woody vines to prune after flowering. That way you won't sacrifice next year's blooms. Trumpet vine actually blooms on new wood, so pruning any time after they are done flowering should be fine.

Overwintering--I don't give mine any winter protection (zone 5), although I do have some dieback on the vines some winters, which I prune off in the spring.

Where to get plants--Email me in September and I would be glad to trade for other plants or perhaps for postage.

Eradication--I have never tried to eradicate them, so I can't help you there.

Good luck and enjoy them!

Jeanne

o

I am conducting experients for the USDA & Dept of Defense. We are planning to release the trumpent vine ("Project Gideon")on IRAQ & other threating nations to cripple their economies & morale. They will be tripping over the vines everywhere. What little horticulture or crops they have will be ruined.

Seriously, If, somebody would please send me some seeds I would like to cover a unsightly fence on my property. Please send to KC PO Box 1901 Folsom, CA 95763. I would greatly appreciate it

o

OMG...what have I done? I just order four of theses plants from Spring Hill. I don't want to die a horrible trumpet vine death!

o

I don't know what all the worry is about here! WHO would want to try to get RID of these beautiful vines???? If kept trimmed back, they can be absolutely GORGEOUS!!! They are sooooo easy to grow! And YES! The Hummers absolutely adore them too. They get loaded with flowers in the fall, and sometimes I have 10-15 hummers in my back yard feeding and fighting amongst them. If that isn't worth growing them, then their beauty is. Happy Growing!!!

o

Not to be negative or anything but, a friend of mine has A trumpet Vine growing on here chainlink fence (The plant wa already there when she bought the house) and it is destroying the fence. She is upset about this because she had the fence put in for her dogs and its doing a good job of trying to remove the fence! She has tried to transplant the plant elsewhere, but it keeps coming back with a vengeance! ;) it is very pretty but really irritates her!

Lori

o

...another great Trumprtvine thread !
I really wish I could have one for me and the hummers but Ive decided to stick to a less-agressive alternative- Lonicera sempervirens, aka Coral honeysuckle.
-stephen

o

Trumpet vine will eat your fences and your siding and anything else it can get its hands (tendrils) on. I have reason to believe that the only reason my yard doesnt fall into the mine shaft thats under my property is because of the network of trumpet vine roots. It grows all the way up into an OLD very tall elm tree here in my yard, as well as up other OLD TALL trees, it grows so tall you can't see the top of it. It is as big around as my wrist. Trumpet vine does NOT die back. it goes dormant in winter and in spring starts growing again where it left off the year before. It has no major soil/light/moisture requirements. It grows here in the sun, the shade, the dry cracked open dirt, in the creekbed.. EVERYWHERE.
I dug up some roots of it last year for someone who requested some in trade.... and ended up sending a 2 ft long tuber... which was broken off when I tried to dig it, and then it CAME back from whatever minute piece of tuber i LEFT, just a couple of weeks later.

The seed pods dont open until late fall/early winter... and are often so high up on whatever they are growing that even if you WANTED to stop them from germinating... you couldn't find (or reach) the pods to get rid of the seeds.

We do NOT have pleasant winters here either (although I'm aware not as severe as the northern state) and I've never been able to kill the stuff. I'm sure whoever planted the japanese honeysuckle in our woods didn't think that some years in the future that it would be taking over the whole woods and pulling down trees, and smothering out ALL of the rest of the vegetation either but it IS.. so be careful what you sow!

Paula

Paula

o
RE: Thank you

Thank you all for the seeds you sent to me.. See prev posting.. I have had sucess germinating a half a dozen or so. They are very young but growing quickly. Thanks to all & your passion for including others in your gardening generosity.

Thx WackooCA

o

I just got some vines from an old lady down the road from me. 2 bucks for 5 or 6 root shoots with vines about 2 ft in length... my thoughts are to attract hummingbirds..... didn't realize the potential invasiveness of this plant. I have seen it growing on a single pole in a yard. it gives the umbrella effect that was discussed in this thread. I assume that this is the best way to control its invasive tendencies. I also have a dead standing tree at the edge of my property. I guess it would be best planted there. it is mostly brush and undergrowth there. gets some sun. about 80 ft from my house. any thoughts would be appreciated....

o

I'd rather have KUDZU than trumpet vine.

o

If anyone has any extra trumpet vine I would love some. I live in the north and I know they grow great here. And they are beautiful.
Thanks!
Lynda

o

We planted a (orange) 'hybrid' trumpet vine that we purchased from a nursery, I don't know if they are any different than the wild ones, but we planted it by a utility pole and it grows beautifully and this past year about the 4th year for it, had huge blooms. So far we have not let it climb over 6 foot high and it is more like a bush that clings to the pole. I have not had too much trouble with spreading yet, but we mow around it so possibly that helps, altho I do see where I could dig some up and share them. I don't know if anyone would be interested in any, after reading this column.

o

Wow, what great info. I planted my 1 gallon trumpet (yellow) on an arbor right next to my house. I'll be rethinking that option! Not too late to replant, I just put it in last week. Now I think I'll put it next to the ugly old pine tree. Thanks all!

o

i just bought two, and looked at this forum, and oddly enough, have decided not to plant them. if you want 'em, drop me a line.

o

sorry, i've already given them away.

o

Hi,
If anyone has a trumpet vine they would like to share, I would love some.
Thanks,
Kris

o

hmmm. I just posted a question about trumpet vines in the propogation conference and then I found this wonderful thread. I have had trumpet vine in my yard here in Chicago for the more than fourteen years we have lived here. I guess I have been lucky. It has never tried to pull me out of my house or grab the kids. In fact, it has stayed on our fence and the back of our neighbors garage (it hasn't moved to the front or sides of their garage). I have never done anything to help it along and it hasn't gone crazy. Anyway the neighbors are tearing down the garage and building a bigger one and we will probably replace the fence at the same time. I want to save the trumpet vine and I also want to move some up to our cabin in michigan. Right now it is still so cold here that the vine is still dormant. I am thinking about moving the trumpet vine to the other side of the yard so we are not bumping into it on our walk way. Any suggestions on when and how to move it. Also since it is still dormant are there any suggestions for cutting and moving some to michigan?

o

hi, this may sound silly but can the vine be controlled if it is kept in a large pot? i live in ohio and i bought a samlon reddish trumpet vine.. what do you sugest? i live in town so i thought a large pot with a heavy duty trellis would work

o
Is there a trumpet tree?

After reading all the posts, we were going to ask for a cutting or seeds from a friend of ours who has a trumpet vine that came with the house they bought. The catch is that is that it looks more like a tree than a vine. Is there such thing as a trumpet tree?

o

I understand what is meant by invasive, but as I read in one of the posts, it is only invasive if you allow it to be. I have one that like to pop up here and there and its no big deal, I just cut it back wherever I don't want it. But, I sure wish I could get it to bloom. I've had it for 4 years now. No blooms. Still, it frames our front windows nicely and who knows, maybe one day, it will suprise me.

o
RE: Trumpet vine

I am so interested in Trumpet Vine. If anyone has seeds to spare..please send to :
Sandi Burford
P O Box 35
St Louisville,Ohio
We are wanting them for hummingbirds :) & are prepared for their growth.
Thanks so much in advance.

o

Aunti had one on her her house and it destroyed the siding on the side it grew on so badly that they had to replace all the boards on that side. Prior to removal it was getting in tough the windows.

o

I live in Indiana. I grew up in the country with trumpet vine. It is a gorgeous vine. When I moved to town, dug up some and brought it with me. It does have to be pruned yearly and I keep the branches off the ground by cutting them back all season long, also gives it the umbrella shape which is so pretty. Also I always plant them where they can be mowed around. If you love to garden and don't mind tending to your plants, you won't regret planting this vine. I have one on a fence and also like to grow them on a post (landscape timber) works well. Do not feed this plant will only delay flowers.

o

I live in Kentucky. We had purchased 3 trumpet vines from a plant catalog about 8 years ago. We wanted to cover our chain link fence. The 2 in the sun grew rapidly and started blooming the second year. The one in the shade was slower but still bloomed. Every winter I cut them back to what was once the main umbrella stalk. The stalks are now trunks and they come back with a flurry of vines and blooms in the spring. Yes it's very invasive. It loves climbing the brick on my house and yes the little guys pop up all over our yard. I now walk around with a spray bottle of root kill. This seems to be keeping it in control.

o

• Posted by raee zone 5-6 OH (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 17, 06 at 22:36

I have one that I planted 3 years ago (it was supposed to be yellow but is actually pale orange). Last year was the first time it bloomed & I was happy with it, except for the color. but THIS year--oh, boy! I had trimmed it back in the spring. It grew so luxuriously, with the branches/tendrils growing up then drooping over, that the weight of it broke the trellis. It has reached across to my neighbor's roof. It made a great privacy planting, and attracted the hummers, which I wanted, but I think it is just too much plant for this space. I wonder if different cultivars account for the different experiences of folks here, as well as the differences in climate, soil etc.

o

wow! who knew! it's amazing how differently we experience the same thing. sort of like the blind men and the elephant...sort of like everything in life. my experience originally was at the daycare center i worked at in chicago. a big old monster grew on the chain link fence and was trying to engulf our storage shed. it had lots of flowers, but never any pods. i never saw any hummingbirds either. i'm sure there's a connection. i had seen an occasional pod while traveling the local alleys and was determined to fertilize the flowers at the center, which i did...2 pods. i always managed to kill the offshoots i dug up and transplanted at home. okay, now i've retired to the woods of indiana. i killed the plant i managed to keep alive all winter in a pot and i have some seeds. now, the dilemma is: which version of the trumpeter vine reality do i accept. i love these garden web forums!!

o

I have a huge seed pod hanging from my vine does anyone know when or how to go about removing it from the plant. Its quite big and I'd like to start my own seeds although that never seems to be necesary with this plant

o

I will agree trumpet vines are very aggressive. I planted them once and they took over everything. They especially like the house. We moved and now my neighbor has one growing in a pine tree, and guess what? I have them comming up in my liliac bush and you guessed it all around my house. I have been cutting spraying and they keep comming back.They are pretty and I know the hummers like them, but I would rather feed the hummers and send those pesky trumpets to the moon.

o

This is my first year for trumpet vines. I have 3 of them that I purchased in the spring. I am wondering if they should be cut back now and if so how low. My vines have grown between 4 and 6 feet long. Joy

o

this thread is harder to kill that the Trumpet vine itself :)

froggy

o

i know that this is an old thread but, is there anyone out there who could please send me some seeds and/or cuttings for SASBE??? Thank you!

Jan

o

Jan -- you have mail.

o

Would one of you out there in gardening land be so kind as to mail me some seeds for the trumpet vine ... I would love to attract the hummingbirds, plus the vine holds sentimental value to me as my mother who passed away from Alzheimers several years ago, always enjoyed her trumpet vine and the lovely hummingbirds !!

Thanks for your kindness :-)
Please Mail to:

Connie Klausner
PO Box 96
Keenesburg, CO 80643

o

My problem with the Trupet Vine is that it's my neighbors vine and it's taken over MY house! It grows up the chimney, into the chimney. I'm afraid to have a fire in the winter because it's all dry and I don't want to set my house on fire.

The branches cover the window upstairs and IT GROWS INTO THE WINDOW.......I have to reach out the window and pull the branches off the side of the house, but only as far as I can reach. It's ruined my gutters, pulled up the siding and who knows what it's doing to the roof!

We both rent our houses so I called the manager and complained about this vine being in my chimney. They called the chimney sweeper and he pulled it out and reported that the vine was smoldering because the neighbor had a fire in her fireplace while he was up there. The manager sent someone over to pull the vine down off the chimney but within weeks of spring it was all over my house, chimney and into my baby's room again!

My neighbor won't speak to me. She hasn't spoken to me in 2 years (because I complained about her vine) She got mad when I trimmed it off of my window even. This vine us planted just on the other side of the fence.

I want to kill this freakin' vine!!!!! But I know she'll come over and murder me in my sleep if I do! is there some way I can kill this vine by pouring something on it from my side??

o

Happy to say my TRUMPET VINE is 2 years old & very healthy. We put it in a large pot in the ground (cut out the bottom) and placed a 10 foot metal pole that has 4 extended 3 foot "arms" (2 on each side). We wrapped the vine around the pole as it grew..& it continues to do so itself & has covered the pole fully with some vine hanging.Very pretty but no flowers yet. I find this site useful & entertaining! THANKS! Sandi Burford

o

I realize this is a strange time of year to be requesting seeds/pods of the trumpet vine, but I'm very eager to begin planting at the first sign of the spring thaw!

I've read that trumpet vine can be grown as a groundcover, as well as a climber and is often found growing near roadsides and in ditches.

After numerous other gardening attempts, this may be exactly the solution I'm looking for, for a barren, unsightly, down-right-ugly area I've been trying to soften on our cabin property in Central WI. I'm aware of its aggressive, invasive nature but am willing to give it a try, for the sake of the hummers, and my sanity!

Any contribution would be greatly appreciated; and I'd be glad to send pics so that you could also enjoy the fruits of your generosity.

If interested, please email me for address information.

In advance---many, many thanks!

o

I have a trumpet vine in my backyard right near my pear tree, im very worried over my blue rose bush ( it might kill it, and I have no idea where I could possibly find another )but luckily it has stayed in the same place ( growing over an old metal shed ) for the past 14 years! I have no problem with its aggressive nature, because I completely ignore it!

o
RE: Trumpet vine?? How do I contain the underground runners

• Posted by jlosc Mid FL (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 17, 08 at 12:37

Hmmmmm I did not know about the importance of containing the underground runners of this (and others) vines.

Could someone tell me how I contain the underground runners?

Sorry to sound ignorant, but I'm just getting into plants and trees, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

My trumpet vine looks dead to me. I just planted it last July. It came from naturehills.com I've purchased a number of plants and trees from them, but they all died, even though I followed their instructions.

Anyway, any help you can give me on those underground runners would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

o

This thread is ten years old, folks. Start a new thread with your question, preferably on the Vines forum.

o

Now this is REALLY a shame! A thread started in 1998 and the last post after 10 freaking years was SIX years ago!

The shame. For all those who DO NOT READ THE POSTS IN A THREAD such as this. EVERY question asked in this thread was answered MULTIPLE times. And then asked again in some cases immediately after the question was already answered in the last post.. So please. If you want to know anything about Trumpet vines PLEASE read this post. For chuckles, go back and read the past 10 + years posts. No doubt half the posters have long since went to meet their maker. Heh.

So let me summarize. I AM speaking from 5 season's experience growing Trumpet Vine. Hereafter, TV!

Seeds. They MUST be stratified in areas where winters are severe. Either plant them outside in the fall or stratify them. If you gather seeds in the Fall and store them inside, the germination rate is virtually non-existent. Google is your friend WRT stratification. And BTW one seed pod can hold 100s of thousands of seeds. One of the reasons that it is so invasive.

Growing in a container. Forget it. They have a HUGE taproot and will not survive.

Containing in the ground with barriers. Likely cannot be done cause no one wants to take the effort to sink a 20 foot deep barrier around the plant. Likely would not work anyway.

Invasion of the Body snatchers. YES - this plant is likely exceeded only by Kudzu or houtinaya in terms of its invasiveness. Under NO circumstances plant this near your house if you value said house. It has been known to rip off walls, pop up in cracks in basements and garages, rip off siding and gutters, push up sidewalks - hell even pull people from their sleeping beds! Every bit of that is true except for the last part. :-) It did grab my leg once and threw me to the ground.

I have a bank that is approximately 200 feet long, 40 feet wide and is steep ~ 45 degree angle. When I bought the house 4 years ago there was not a single Trumpet vine on the bank. I mowed it. Now there are at least 5 to 7 hundred TVs growing there. Today I cut out ~ 35 plants and did not make a dent.

Transplanting. Can be very hard. Most Trumpet Vine RESENT being transplanted and DIE a horrible death. Good riddance. It has a tap root that goes all the well to Hell.

Blooms. I had about 39 blooms last year and zippo Hummers. They frequented my feeders and other plants. Yet across town I saw ONE freaking TV grown as a handsome shrub approx 8 ft tall by 10 ft wide and it had hundreds of blooms. Go figure.

Pruning. Cut it to hell and back cause it will just pop right back up and laff in your face. In fact - it WILL pop up just about anywhere it darned well pleases cause its main method of invasion is via underground runners that may be as much as 6 or more feet deep. Yeah - I know that for a fact! It also grows from seed. And layering. And suckers. It is beyond a doubt one of the most tenacious plants that I am aware of.

Killing the suckers. It can be done. Remove all side shoots that may layer themselves. Cut the main stem AFTER it starts to grow. May - June in Zone 5A. Paint the cut stem with 100 % UNDILUTED Concentrated brush killer. Do not use the diluted stuff cause the TV will just laff at you and grow faster!

Now you might say - why in God's name would anyone want to grow this monster? Cause it has a pretty bloom and some people even have hummers stop by for a bit of nectar. Of course those hummers are never seen again.

Enjoy your Trumpet Vines. I know I do. :-) And no - I don't have any seeds.

o

This is the vine from hell. If you plant it on the side of your house, it will crawl under and greet you on the other side. It has no respect for fences, my neighbors vine wants to live with us.

You cannot kill, maim or murder it, it wants to live.

I do have a report of the one & only TV that is planted in the perfect spot around these parts. I didn't think it possible to contain it but now I am beginning to believe it might just possible.

There is a big parking lot downtown by a cafeteria & in the middle of all this concrete is a square of dirt with a tall electrical pole stuck in the middle. Planted by this convenient pole is a TV. I'm not laying money on the possibility that the plant is incapable of escape beyond the parking lot, but for now, the rest of the block appears safe.

How tall will a TV get? How tall is your pole? That's how tall it will get, as tall as whatever is close by. Yep the TV has managed to climb all the way up. The only thing stopping it from getting taller is it ran out of pole. Aw, poor thing.

Actually, its the prettiest TV I have seen & it does dress up the otherwise barren & dreary cracked parking lot with nice blooms & foliage. Never seen a hummer on it, but I don't hang out there except when we go to the cafeteria.

So, if you want to contain your TV, this is how you go about it.

o

Yeah - I failed to mention tallness. One in a wooded area just behind my property has climbed ~ 60 - 70 feet up a tree. It has 3 or 4 trunks the largest ~ 3 inches across and it is wrapping itself around the tree. The longest trailing vine I have measured on my bank is ~ 30 feet.

One of the things that allows them to rip the sides off houses is their tendrils. What appears like roots (10 - 20 +) come out of the vine every 1 - 3 feet. These "attach" and are hard to detach. When you pull the vine, the attached tendril will rip what ever it is attached to.

WRT the parking lot TV, I would expect over time that it will pop up thru a crack. TVs love heat.

I made note and failed to address. Someone mentioned they could not find the seed pods. Not hard to find them. They grow at the end of a stem and are banana shaped ~ 3 - 9 inches long, 1 - 2 inches in diameter. Look sorta like a mildweed seed capsule. When they pop open the small, light blackish seeds are carried to the next county by the wind.

o

I suspect some of the plants growing in yards are not separate plants. My theory is it is all one monster root that has traveled miles under the city just waiting to do its thing.

Here is what I am convinced happens: Some unsuspecting person cuts a TV down. I believe the main vine is actually waiting for this opportunity in order to proceed to the next phase of its plan for world domination. When cut, hundreds of these new vines spring up everywhere in its goal to latch onto other structures.

TV's intent is to conquer the world. Its just waiting for this to happen. If it doesn't happen this way, there are always the seeds.

Beware of cutting one down. You'll be sorry. One plant is now hundreds.

It will grow as high as whatever it is growing on & I do believe the roots are doing the same underground. They will keep traveling as long as there is dirt to travel through.

o

So you really like this plant then? ;^)

+oM

o

I have a VERY hearty plant that grew back after being cut to the ground. (That area is now covered with concrete...phew.) I threw it in a pot and ignored it but regardless of my disinterest it has insisted in growing.

After researching I now know it is a trumpet vine. Any of you out there in the Willamette valley have experience with this possible invasive? Seems the invasive nature is directly tied to zone location.
I'm leaving it in the pot until I hear from someone. Please help! I hate to 'kill' a plant that wants so much to live. But I'll happily burn it if it is like morning glory or IVY!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here