Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dormant seeding of fireweed-Epilobium angustifolium

Posted by wisconsitom 4/5 WI (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 10:09

I've got a tree farm up north. This year, we planted 6000 seedlings.......that sort of thing. But, there is still a bit of open land, mostly given to Solidagos, asters, and the like. I would like to start a few patches of fireweed-the native version-in this area. I am leaning towards a fall dormant seeding, which for this area is usually sometime after mid-October.

Does anyone here see anything wrong with this plan, aside, that is, from the fact that you don't like fireweed? It is native to the area we're in but as far as I've seen, not currently present on my property. That area did in fact burn in the wave of forest fires following the 1930s dustbowl/drought. But that's too long ago to know if any colonies of this Epilobium arose back then.

In any case, I'd like to get some going. I'm well aware of its colonial growing habit, but this is a big area and I can afford to have it spread.

Thanks in advance.......+oM

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dormant seeding of fireweed-Epilobium angustifolium

Your plan should work. Make sure to remove weedy competition in the area you are planting though. Seedlings will struggle if there is any sort of competition. Fireweed is a great plant and I'm glad to here you are planting it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Improved Ecosystems

o

Thanks Nick. Yes, I look forward to seeing some sweeping patches of this stuff in a year or three. Any tips on the "best" seed source? I may want to cover as much as two or three acres, so some quantity will be needed. So far, I've been in discussions with Prairie Moon Nursery. I'm sure there's about a gazillion other sources for seed of this species.

+oM

o

you might like to look at the less invasive but very lovely white: E.angustifolium album. Did a spring sowing and about half germinated - will expect further germinations over winter.
I think B&T World seeds will sell quantities and Plantworld definitely stocks this variety (and ships to the US).

o

Thanks Campanula. I actually found what I sought right here in WIsconsin-EverWilde Farms. I am definitely after the magenta coloration. Maybe someday, if I get this initial effort completed, I will add in some of that white-flowered variant.

Keep in mind, this isn't exactly "gardening" I'm doing on this land. It's our tree farm/forestation project, with things like the fireweed idea just being fun little add-ons.

+oM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here