Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID time again!

Posted by vera_eastern_wa 5b-6a (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 12, 06 at 12:12

Can anyone tell their best guess on this one?
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thanks,

Vera

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID time again!

I think I need my glasses, but are the stems square?

o

I'm not real confident about this guess but.....Heliopsis Helianthoides??

o

cjbspokane, nope the stems aren't square...that was the first thing I checked since the leaves were oppositely arranged LOL! Might just have to wait for this one to bloom :)
I'm gonna have another one here to ID in just a few...this one is in bloom too and should help alot! I think last year someone ID'd the foliage as Grey-headed Coneflower, but the blooms say a different story! The flower reminds me more of a Coreopsis sp.

Vera

o

Has your mystery plant bloomed yet?

o

Hi April,

No blooms yet....I'm thinking it is probably a perennial due to the slow growth pattern.

Vera

o

Looks like a little hoary vervain?

o

Joepye,

Again, the stems are not square, but thanks for the guess.

Vera

o
Could it be??

ermestm,

I think you possibly hit it on the nail! I didn't sow these, but they are a WA native. Time will tell I guess :D

Vera

o

OK....I have a single bloom in September!! It looks like a small sunflower except the eye part is more like tiny petals than disk flowers....it has fully opened since this pic was taken two days ago.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Vera

o

early sunflower, tho its not so early.

froggy

o

LOL!! Nope it's quite late isn't it? It only came up this late spring.

Thank you Froggy!!

o
compare

Just came back from a google search for pics and info. How would you rate this compared to Helianthus maximiliana (Maximillian Sunflower)? I have one of my Max growing in a regular flower border, but am moving it out later this fall...it just started blooming due to cutting it way back early on to control height (not like it worked real well tho...it just got bushier is all!!), and am wondering how replacing it with the False Sunflower/Early Sunflower will be? The Max gets too darn heavy and eventually is spladed out all over. Is the Heliopsis a flopper to? I just put in a wintersown Joe-Pye Weed this year and think they would look pretty together.

Thanks,

Vera

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here