Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottcarman

Native short grasses and short wildflowers

Hi everyone-

I'm a long-time gardenweb reader and first-time poster! I'm building a garden in Lincoln MA and I'm looking for some suggestions for native grasses and wildflowers, which are not my strong suit! There are three distinct areas that I'm interested in:

1. An area under some newly-planted paperbark maple trees: the trees are very small (and slow-growing) and will not provide shade for quite a long time, so in the interim, I'd like to plant a mix of short native grasses (4"-6" tall). I especially like the reddish grass you see frequently in the median of Massachusetts highways, but have never learned its name!

2. Naturalized woodland edge: Part-shade naturalized environment near wetland (just outside the buffer), where I'm looking for low, flowering groundcovers, grasses, annuals, etc. This area will be allowed to naturalize and will not be maintained, so even an annual cover crop of some kind would be okay.

3. Open meadow: About an acre of rolling, full-sun meadow, where I'd like a mix of grasses and wildflowers, the main requirements being drounght-tolerant and relatively low (+/- 12" height).

Any suggestions for any of these would be very greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Scott

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner