Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a wildflower? If so, what is it?

Posted by DragonStone z8 NC (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 11, 04 at 13:48

I took a picture of this flower and I'm wondering if it is a wildflower.

The reason I ask is because I had got this "Vermont's Wildflowers" packet for free and planted them earlier this spring. This is the first time I have ever seen this kind of flower pop up so I'm wondering if it is a 'vermontian' wildflower.

If it is, Anyone know what the name is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a wildflower? If so, what is it?

Looks like Coreopsis tinctoria, annual tickseed or plains coreopsis, which is a widespread native annual. I'm not sure but it probably is native to Vermont. Like most annuals it pops up in disturbed sites or in areas that have naturally sparse vegetation (such as very poor soils). This species is a common component in generic wildflower seed mixes because it puts on a nice show in the first year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coreopsis tinctoria

o

Thank you!

o

Native, annual coreopsis! I have some of this, too. It's really pretty.

o

Yes, C. tinctoria. I planted some from wild seed last year and it reseeded itself all over the garden this year. They are so pretty and delicate looking---and the plant itself can be ripped & torn and it still grows back strong. (I know because before I knew what the seedlings were, I was trying to tear some out and they kept growing back! They've also been nibbled on by rabbits and have come right back.)

o

Now I'm curious about this flower. I noticed it keeps flowering and I just can't seem to find any seeds to save. Anyone know what it's called? It just showed up in a different bed so I know it's not from the Vermont's wildflower seeds package.

o

Coreopsis tinctoria is not native this far east so I doubt it would be native to Vermont. There are many western wildflowers that have spread this way in "wildflower" mixtures. Gaillardia is another one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here