Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thinning Meadow Seedlings

Posted by MattyL CT Zone 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 16:09

Hi - I've installed a pretty large meadow with about 10 additional "mini" meadows leading down to it and around it. I've sowed, into their own sections, red poppies, lupines, new england aster, baby snapdragons, pincushions, purple prince zinnias, sweet pea, four o'clocks and love in a mist. It seems like every single seed I planted has germinated, so I have huge numbers of seedlings in very close proximity to each other. Do I need to thin out everything? Or will some things be okay left "en masse." I have an excellent site in full sun on a slope, with rich, deeply tilled soil. Any experience/help appreciated greatly! Thanks, Matt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thinning Meadow Seedlings

They tend to take care of the thinning themselves, but if you carefully pinch off all but the biggest seedling in any tiny grouping they will probably grow faster.
If there are no obvious groups, just pinch out the smallest ones in any area, leaving one seedling ever couple of inches.

Pinch the stem with a fingernail just below the seed leaves. Don't pull - it disrupts the roots of the neighboring seedlings.

If you scatter seeds again, mix them into something inert to dilute them. I use sawdust or dry used coffee grounds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here