Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thistles?

Posted by Vera_EWASH z5 EasternWA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 21, 04 at 19:58

I've been looking but haven't found anything....I've a thistle type plant and all I get when searching Eastern WA and Thistle is info on 'Russian Thistle'...
Has a basal rosette with leave resembling dandilion except much more deeply serrated edges that point out>>(base) from the base rather than point down<<(base) as does dandelion. Leaf edges are on the frilly or wavy side. The whole leaf it'self is not very wide. There are now 7 buds (3 large at top, 4 just beginning on the lower half) on the plant each opposite the other and on their own stem. Buds are bumpy/rough and there are very small wavy leaflets? pointing straight up behind each bud...the bigger the bud it nods....Stems are covered with white stiff but not sharp hairs as are the leaves only much smaller hairs that give it a bumpy texture like appearance/feel.

I can't tell you for sure that this is a thistle but the buds make it look as though I'm not far off track. All in all the plant is no taller than 2' .

Can someone run off some thistles I can research or plants resembling thistles? I probably should wait to see what the bloom looks like but I'm dying to know :)

Thanks ,

Vera

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thistles?

try Canada thistle.

As an unrelated thought, if you haven't visited there, you may wish to explore the educational programs on the WSU Marion Ownbey Herbarium web site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Educational Programs: Ownbey Herbarium

o
RE: Thistles?

Thanks for the reminder!
I forgot about The Marion Ownbey website :)

Vera

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here