Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Queen of the Prairie from Seed

Posted by phyleux Z6 WPA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 27, 06 at 21:22

Hello,

Has anyone ever tried to grow Queen of the Prairie (Filipendula rubra) from seed? I started some a few months ago and the seedlings are very little, hardly look like they are growing at all. Was wondering if I should plant them out or keep them in pots until they get bigger.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Queen of the Prairie from Seed

im amazed u got seedlings. u have already won most of the battles.

where did u get them from?

i have found that a soilless germination mix works well for most seedlings.

also, remember that natives have larger root systems than 'wimpy horticulture eye candy'. so sometimes it looks like its not growing whilst its filling up ur pot. i find QotP to be easy to transplant and divide. the roots are fiberous.

froggy

o
RE: Growing Queen of the Prairie from Seed

I would "hold" them in pots until early September, then plant them out. With Mulch. July and August are real bad months to plant any kind of perennial out, IMO.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here