Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ptilda

Wildflower/prairie garden in my ditch?

ptilda
14 years ago

Our land is off of a blacktop country road. Only requirement in the ditch area is that it can't have any large trees (or the county will come & cut them to avoid forest-fire danger). Other than that, anything goes & I've seen all sorts of ideas. Quite honestly, I've announced my official refusal to mow this rough area anymore, and I have no intention on taking special care of it.

The ditch butts up against a fairly heavily wooded area (cleared of brush, and a combination of mowed weeds (no grass to speak of) and shade gardens that are gradually increasing). My intention is to make a sort of rock wall at the top of the ditch, and let everything between the wall and the road go wild... with a little help. We have a lot of wild flowers, including lupin, daisy, yarrow, black-eyed-susan, and a lot of other standards. I'm also thinking of adding some other flowers. There are no other yards within several hundred feet, so there's little concern about the seeds traveling to the neighbor's yards.

Other ideas I have include colored yarrow, coneflowers, poppies, phlox (also grows wild here). Any input?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals