Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wildflower/prairie garden in my ditch?

Posted by ptilda 3/4 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 18, 09 at 3:50

Our land is off of a blacktop country road. Only requirement in the ditch area is that it can't have any large trees (or the county will come & cut them to avoid forest-fire danger). Other than that, anything goes & I've seen all sorts of ideas. Quite honestly, I've announced my official refusal to mow this rough area anymore, and I have no intention on taking special care of it.

The ditch butts up against a fairly heavily wooded area (cleared of brush, and a combination of mowed weeds (no grass to speak of) and shade gardens that are gradually increasing). My intention is to make a sort of rock wall at the top of the ditch, and let everything between the wall and the road go wild... with a little help. We have a lot of wild flowers, including lupin, daisy, yarrow, black-eyed-susan, and a lot of other standards. I'm also thinking of adding some other flowers. There are no other yards within several hundred feet, so there's little concern about the seeds traveling to the neighbor's yards.

Other ideas I have include colored yarrow, coneflowers, poppies, phlox (also grows wild here). Any input?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
btw...

Forgot to mention, my technique for planting this area is going to be:

1. take an established plant (I dont' do so well with seeds).
2. dig a hole in the ditch
3. fill hole with compost or other organic soil amendment
4. pop plant in hole, water, mulch (maybe)
5. pray
6. repeat in 3-4 other locations of the ditch.

If I get some good seed, I might throw it out there, but I'm mostly interested in putting plants in, since I feel like my chances are better of having SOME plants come up. They are going to have to fight with the existing wild flowers, weeds, grasses & some moss that's out there anyhow.

o
RE: Wildflower/prairie garden in my ditch?

It would help if you said what state you live in and the type of soil in your ditch. Is it sandy or clay? Is it wet or mostly dry? Is it part shade or sun? Also, do you care if the plants are North American natives or not? Coloured yarrow, most large poppies, and so-called "wild" phlox (really hesperis matronalis) are not true US natives. Rudbeckia, echinacea, many types of native asters, goldenrod, vernonia, coreopsis, helianthus are only a few suggestions for showy, low maintenance native plants. Check on the net or in person for some nurseries in your state that feature native plants and that way you will know what plants grow best in your region.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here