Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Monarda punctata (Spotted Bee Balm/Horsemint)

Posted by Vera_EWASH z5 EasternWA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 13, 04 at 10:54

Is it perennial or biennial? According to Prairie Nursery it is biennial...according to other sources it is perennial to zone 4.
Have spotted one of these plants today ready to bloom...I crushed a leaf to be sure...I would have to say the smell seemed stronger than my Monarda fistulosa which is now as tall as me and 2-3' wide....I think it is losing some of it's smell since it is in full bud ready to explode in flowers.
How tall will the Horsemint get?

Thanks for any info :)

Vera

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Monarda punctata (Spotted Bee Balm/Horsemint)

My spotted bee balm came up again this year, so I'm thinking that it's a perennial in zone 5, at least. It's about 10" tall, but it's not in full sun, either. I have it growing on the east side of the garage.

o

Great ahughes :)
Has it re-seeded for you at all?

Thanks

o

its very short lived plant.

and it grows pretty well in sunny and sandy soil zone 4. produces dense stands. as to the smell? i dont think its as powerful as fistulosa.

Here is a link that might be useful: horsemint

o

I'm not sure if what I have are re-seeds. I don't think they are, but I cannot be sure. April

o

Thanks...ahughes and Froggy,

As far as the smell goes...my fistulosa IS strong but what I'm saying leaves are not as pungently smelling while it is ready to bloom...right now the horsemint is smelling much stronger is all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here