Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help me ID new invasive in my savanna restoration

Posted by gibby3000 MN (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 13:12

Hi - I'm in MN and have about a six year old small savanna restoration in my former back "yard". We burned it this year for the first time and now have this weird invasive orange, leafless vine. I doubt it had anything to do with burning but I have never seen anything like this any where before. I don't have a picture but can take one later. It's a narrow, bright orange vine that has no leaves that I can see. It just grows over the top of other things including twisting itself tightly around stems of other plants. It's kind of sticky when you pull it off. I've just been pulling it off so far and haven't taken the time to poke around the ground to find the roots to eradicate this completely. Any ideas what this might be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help me ID new invasive in my savanna restoration

o

Yikes!! I do think that's it. That stuff is nasty. Ours is pretty isolated but I can see that we really need to get this eradicated quickly before it spreads. Weird that it just suddenly appeared.

Thanks for the tip on what this is.

o

....and, the dodder you're seeing sounds to be the native type, which is almost never considered a problem in the natural landscape. It may be that the right thing to do is nothing. Also, not particularly able to "infest" most woody plants nor grasses.

+oM

o

I wonder how I can tell for sure if it's native. It's very orange and I've never seen it anywhere around here. For now I'll keep pulling oily off to keep it from spreading,

o

Like I said, I've only seen it in photos, this may sound weird but I rather like it. Its funky looking, it has great texture and I like the orange color. I'd try to keep it and let it have its spot, maybe trim it if necessary.

The name is funny too. When people ask it would be fun to say "Thats my Dodder".

This post was edited by TexasRanger10 on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 15:32

o

Only way to be sure it is native would be to identify to species, which isn't easy with dodders. Requires close examination of the flowers and fruit. More than likely it is native given the description of it being orange. Probably Cuscuta gronovii which is the most common species.

Might help to understand the life history. Dodders are parasitic annuals, at least in temperate regions (they can be perennial in the tropics). They need to establish from seed each year and can only grow for a short time before finding a host, then they lose their roots and grow through the existing vegetation. They appear localized because they can only spread from plant to plant. Dodders are a natural component of grassland communities so you shouldn't be too concerned about it causing harm to the community, though you may want to control it for aesthetics.

o

Okay - I feel a little better about it not destroying my savanna plants that are now quite nice after six years. I don't like the looks of this myself so I'll just keep pulling it off but not worry too much about completely eradicating it.

o

o

duplicate

This post was edited by TexasRanger10 on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 18:50

o

What a crazy plant!!

o

Well native or not this thing is nasty and I've been trying to eradicate it. Pulling everything off and cutting off or pulling out all the plants it's infested. It behaves just as described. You can cut off the part of the plant it's wrapped around but if it's already invaded the inside of the stem it grows from the inside out reappearing and producing seeds. It's in seed mode now so I'm inspecting every day and removing all visible evidence. It is localized so it's a limited area I'm inspecting fortunately. If it reappears in the spring I guess we will torch it or maybe we'll even torch the area this fall. Still wondering why this suddenly appeared when I've never seen it anywhere in my life.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here