Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spotted knapweed kills other plants?

Posted by altoraMA 5/6 MA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 31, 04 at 13:13

I just saw a post on this on another forum from back in Feb. Does anyone know if spotted knapweed (some type of centaurea)emits a chemical that kills the other plants around it? Would this apply to perennial Bachelor Button as well?
Thanks!
Alida

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spotted knapweed kills other plants?

I hadn't heard of plants in the bachelor's button family being alleopathic....I have cosmos growing right into my bachelors buttons, and the cosmos seems none the worse for wear.

o

The link below has some info on how Spotted Knapweed affects other plants:

Here is a link that might be useful: Spotted Knapweed

o

• Posted by Rosa 4-ish (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 3, 04 at 7:32

Yes some members of the Centaurea family are highly alleopathic. Those would be the knapweeds.

If it does contain the same chemical, it's not in the quatity that is of any consequence. At least not that anyone has studied. While bachelors buttons are certainly notorious for reseeding well, it's no thug like the knapweeds, lol!!

Here is a link that might be useful: knapweed article

o

Spotted Knapweed easily takes over an area. This summer I've noticed that people are not mowing areas infested when the plant is flowering as it is rather attractive. BUT BEWARE!!!!! It will reseed and take over. Minnesota is attempting to have it listed as a noxious weed or at least some counties are. But that is a long drawn out process.

o

• Posted by Rosa 4-ish (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 6, 04 at 7:00

It also spreads by its prolific underground root system

o

This is a hateful plant! Here on the shores of Lake Superior we are battling with it. It has crowded out all our native wildflowers on the roadsides and lines the edges of our lakes. I dig it out and also use round-up. I have had success on my property but more seed keeps blowing in. I am patrolling for it every day. If you see it...get rid of it!

o

keewenaw gal: Keep up the good work! I love the Lake and am disturbed to seed this infestation. Down here in Indiana, we are losing ground with Garlic Mustard and Amur Honeysuckle (introduced, btw by the Indiana DNR, some 20 years ago (always like to give them credit fo including it in their "Wildlife Packet!"); it's all over the place and in State parks here. Please people, DON'T spread invasive, non-native species!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here