Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wet meadow question

Posted by bellingham z8 WA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 18, 11 at 13:30

I have a 1/2 acre area that is already close to what I want, but it's infested with both tall and creeping buttercup. I say "close to what I want" because it is also filled with rushes that I would like to keep (mostly common rush, Juncus effusus, but also a couple other varieties). I would like to get rid of most of the buttercup so that I can plant grasses and some wildflowers. I don't expect to eradicate the buttercup, but I want to reduce it enough to give the grasses a chance to get going. I'm wondering what the best approach is.

I would be willing to do an initial broadleaf herbicide application, but I can't seem to find information about whether something is available that would not harm the rushes. Is there something? Another option is to attempt to apply glyphosate (sponge, saturated glove, spray with shield). Of course, there is mechanical removal, but this is a half acre, and it's just me...and I would like to try for planting grasses this fall.

Ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wet meadow question

I would remove the plants you want to save and then plow the entire acreage under and let it all rot for a week and then plow again. You could also rake the lot when it is dry. The rushes could be held in pots and kept watered. They generally transplant well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here