Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Introducing Myself!

Posted by ccoupkir z5 Il (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 6, 06 at 14:10

Hi everyone, I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself to this forum. I am very active on the Winter Sowing forum but would also like to become active here as well. I recently started a 1600 sq ft native praire in my back yard so I'll be bugging everyone with questions over the next few years. Hope it won't be too annoying!

I used the lasagna method of smothering last spring to start the area so weed problems have been very minimal. I won't be able to burn but plan on mowing once it is more established.

I have been using all the info at The Prairie Nursery site since it is applicable to my area (DuPage County outside of Chicago).

I am trying to stick with plants that are native to my county but have included some that are native to northern Il/southeastern Wisc. as well. My prairie could actually be referred to as an Oak savanna as I have 7 100' Oak trees in my yard. I have a small list of plants that are native only to Oak savannas so if anyone has more info on this type of prairie, please clue me in!

So, here I am. Hope to learn tons from all of you in the near and not so near future!

Cheryl ::]
(ccoupkir)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Introducing Myself!

Well hello there Cheryl :D

Vera

o

Hi Cheryl!
I'm new to this site as well. I am preparing to establish a small camas meadow in my backyard (Predominately Camassia quamash, Pacific NW native lily), so I will also be asking for advice. My biggest challenge is my husband, whose definition of a landscape is a large green lawn bordered by a few shrubs. Personally I would like to eliminate the lawn altogether. Our kids are grown so we don't need a soccer field! We live in a small town in western Oregon, in a 100 year old house on a large lot. I would really love to maximize the beauty and usefulness of our small corner of the world with plants that don't require an exorbitant amount of water (nonexistant here in the summer), fertilizer, pesticide, etc. I would also like to include more edible plants in the landscape. Camas produces an edible bulb (not that I would ever eat it...) and is historically very significant, as it was an important food plant for indigenous people. The bulbs were even used as a form of currency for trading. I purchased some seed a couple years ago, not thinking that I would get many to germinate, as I didn't know much about it, and now I have several thousand bulbs. Enough for a meadow! Although they won't bloom for a couple years. If anyone can tell me what companion plants would have been found in a camas meadow in the Willamette valley, I would love to find out. I know of Deschampsia caespitosa, but that's about it (have some seedlings of that one).

Good luck with your prairie, Cheryl. We moved here to Oregon from Illinois several years ago, but I wasn't much into native gardening when I lived there so am not familiar with Illinois native plants.

o

Bottlebrush grass would look really nice in your savannah. Welcome. Whereabouts in IL did you live? April

o
Hello

A few websites for us Illinois native plant people.

I just found this site and it has great pictures.
http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/

and the old stand by:
http://www.il.nrcs.usda.gov/technical/plants/npg/index.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here