Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccoupkir

Introducing Myself!

ccoupkir
17 years ago

Hi everyone, I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself to this forum. I am very active on the Winter Sowing forum but would also like to become active here as well. I recently started a 1600 sq ft native praire in my back yard so I'll be bugging everyone with questions over the next few years. Hope it won't be too annoying!

I used the lasagna method of smothering last spring to start the area so weed problems have been very minimal. I won't be able to burn but plan on mowing once it is more established.

I have been using all the info at The Prairie Nursery site since it is applicable to my area (DuPage County outside of Chicago).

I am trying to stick with plants that are native to my county but have included some that are native to northern Il/southeastern Wisc. as well. My prairie could actually be referred to as an Oak savanna as I have 7 100' Oak trees in my yard. I have a small list of plants that are native only to Oak savannas so if anyone has more info on this type of prairie, please clue me in!

So, here I am. Hope to learn tons from all of you in the near and not so near future!

Cheryl ::]

(ccoupkir)

Comments (4)

Sponsored