Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pictures of wildflower meadow progression

Posted by camaria 2b (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 7, 09 at 14:13

Hi,

I've got these pictures buried at the bottom of another thread, but thought I'd repost them for those who don't want to dig through to find them. I've had a lot of fun preparing the meadow and am finally seeing some results for all that hard work! Love it!

Raking after an entire season of round up application:

Photobucket

All seeded and ready to water:

Photobucket

First Growth:

Photobucket

Native Annual Sunflower fall of 2008:

Photobucket

Photobucket

And finally some perennials coming up this year:

Photobucket

Photobucket

not sure what this next one is:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pictures of wildflower meadow progression

The red-flowered plant resembles a dock, genus Rumex. See whether this looks right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumex_obtusifolius

If so, then you have to decide whether you want it. Some classify it as a weed. Butterfliers like me classify it as a hostplant for Coppers.

Jeff Cagle

o

That was my question. What is the "red" plant? Doesn't look like the usual prairie type plant. P.S. Love your dog.

o

The red flower stands out among other wild flower. Your dog also gives emphasis to the flowers around it.

o

Oh, camaria. That is lovely!
Do you have any follow up pics yet?
I would love to have the social fortitude to change my lawn over to a meadow. The most I could bring myself to do was to seed with white clover years ago. Now I get two to three weeks of clover along with all the natives that the birds have seeded in the yard. It's pretty but....
How far from an urban area are you?
We have a 1/2 acre but are only 30 miles outside of a very large urban area and the other homeowners just hate me because I don't have a professionally manicured lawn like everyone else. Yuck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here