Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
froghollow_gw

Butterfly weed

froghollow
20 years ago

The butterfly weed, Asclepias tuberosa, didn't come back this year. Too wet?

Comments (10)

• johnp
    20 years ago

Too wet is a good guess, especially if the soil isn't very well drained (i.e., sandy).

• froghollow
    Original Author
    20 years ago

It's not sandy but clay. I just noticed this a.m., after a week of vacation, that a field that normally is full of butterfly weed has only 2 or 3 plants this year and they are right on the edge of the field, by the road, in an area that is elevated and therefore probably has better drainage.

• Bloomingthings
    20 years ago

If it's along side the road I wonder if they were either sprayed or mowed by your township.

• jcsgreenthumb
    20 years ago

Hi,

I believe Prairie Moon Nursery has a variety of butterfly weed for clay.

Jeanne

• john_mo
    20 years ago

I think Jeanne may be thinking of Prairie Nursery, which offers a 'butterflyweed for clay' -- or perhaps both sources have a similar offering.

Here is a link that might be useful: prairie nursery

• dandra_t
    20 years ago

My soil is also clay. I've found I can grow butterfly weed if I fork in perlite and sand. I also loosen up the soil and put rocks around where the seeds tend to take root. I started with three butterfly weeds and now have about ten.

• thatbiologygirl
    20 years ago

Another thing you can do: go to the place you saw lots of tuberosas and take a couple handfuls of the soil (this is of course assuming this is public land and you can get the soil without harming the plants themselves). Then work this soil in with some good course sand as previously suggested. By transplanting soil as well, you're establishing the soil microenvironment which will greatly increase the fitness of the plants. I have seen this with multiple prairie gardens I've started or been associated with. Try it, it should do wonders!

Another note, make sure there arenÂt any nasty invasives lurking about when you take the soil other wise you might find yourself host to their brood!

Hope this helps,

Jessica ~that biology girl~

• woodland_gardens
    20 years ago

I would try not to mix sand and clay as such a mixture causes a concrete like substance that will have worse drainage than just clay. Use organic matter only when dealing with clay.

• paul299
    20 years ago

The soil is not the problem-the field at one time had lots of them. This species is very susceptible
    to herbicide use, I can tell when my neighbor uses his weed killer because my Butterfly weeds
    develop stunted growth.

Another problem might have been predation of the plants.

I have found that this species will grow in moist soil, the limiting factor is the oxygen leaves of
    the soils.

• froggy
    20 years ago

couple of thoughts

even tho u didnt see them this year, doesnt mean they are gone. maybe u have to better manage for that particular spp. and/or it was just a bad year for that spp. weather wise. and/or the population just is going thru a 'phase'. and/or this site was maybe seeded and now the truth behind trying to make a prairie out of something that isnt a prairie is rearing its ugly head and u are not getting year over year regeneration because things just arnt right for them.

also: sand, clay, water(rain), a few stomps and u get the pyramids that are over 3000 years old. betchya nuthin grows very well on em too :)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations