Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butterfly weed

Posted by froghollow Z 6 NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 03 at 18:04

The butterfly weed, Asclepias tuberosa, didn't come back this year. Too wet?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butterfly weed

• Posted by johnp z4 mn/wi (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 20, 03 at 13:12

Too wet is a good guess, especially if the soil isn't very well drained (i.e., sandy).

o

It's not sandy but clay. I just noticed this a.m., after a week of vacation, that a field that normally is full of butterfly weed has only 2 or 3 plants this year and they are right on the edge of the field, by the road, in an area that is elevated and therefore probably has better drainage.

o

If it's along side the road I wonder if they were either sprayed or mowed by your township.

o

Hi,

I believe Prairie Moon Nursery has a variety of butterfly weed for clay.

Jeanne

o

I think Jeanne may be thinking of Prairie Nursery, which offers a 'butterflyweed for clay' -- or perhaps both sources have a similar offering.

Here is a link that might be useful: prairie nursery

o

My soil is also clay. I've found I can grow butterfly weed if I fork in perlite and sand. I also loosen up the soil and put rocks around where the seeds tend to take root. I started with three butterfly weeds and now have about ten.

o

Another thing you can do: go to the place you saw lots of tuberosas and take a couple handfuls of the soil (this is of course assuming this is public land and you can get the soil without harming the plants themselves). Then work this soil in with some good course sand as previously suggested. By transplanting soil as well, you're establishing the soil microenvironment which will greatly increase the fitness of the plants. I have seen this with multiple prairie gardens I've started or been associated with. Try it, it should do wonders!

Another note, make sure there arent any nasty invasives lurking about when you take the soil other wise you might find yourself host to their brood!

Hope this helps,

Jessica ~that biology girl~

o

I would try not to mix sand and clay as such a mixture causes a concrete like substance that will have worse drainage than just clay. Use organic matter only when dealing with clay.

o

The soil is not the problem-the field at one time had lots of them. This species is very susceptible
to herbicide use, I can tell when my neighbor uses his weed killer because my Butterfly weeds
develop stunted growth.

Another problem might have been predation of the plants.

I have found that this species will grow in moist soil, the limiting factor is the oxygen leaves of
the soils.

o

couple of thoughts

even tho u didnt see them this year, doesnt mean they are gone. maybe u have to better manage for that particular spp. and/or it was just a bad year for that spp. weather wise. and/or the population just is going thru a 'phase'. and/or this site was maybe seeded and now the truth behind trying to make a prairie out of something that isnt a prairie is rearing its ugly head and u are not getting year over year regeneration because things just arnt right for them.

also: sand, clay, water(rain), a few stomps and u get the pyramids that are over 3000 years old. betchya nuthin grows very well on em too :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here