Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suburban Meadow Projects

Posted by watchnerd none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 20:44

If anyone is curious, here is a progress report on my attempts to incrementally turn my back yard into a meadow, without wiping everything out and starting all over again.

It's been a very mixed bag, but I've learned a lot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Suburban Meadow Project, Part 2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suburban Meadow Projects

What zone/state are you in Watchnerd?
We have a little hayfield behind our yard and one thing that does compete with the tall grass there is native orange flowered Butterfly Weed (asclepias tuberosa). That might be a good one to try. It's definitely ornamental. We have fescue in our field but also other grasses. It's not a native meadow. There aren't a lot of perennials that can handle that kind of competition.

If you plant butterfly weed, it might need some help in the beginning. I think it would be perfectly fine to kill a little area of grass to give the butterfly weed or some other perennial a chance to get started.

Are there any tall grass areas near you where you can observe to see what's surviving and blooming there?

o
RE: Suburban Meadow Projects

Hi christie,

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, zone 10a.

There are many many meadows up in the foothills within a few miles from where I live. Sadly, very few are purely native anymore. Most are full of invasive species.

I'm probably going to smother some of the fescue later this year and then replant with native plugs, probably Leymus triticoides. I'll need over 100 plugs!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here