Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pufftrinket

Is a 5-7 acre yard a prairie?

pufftrinket
18 years ago

Hi all-

I'm new to all this.

I have a really big yard. I am planting all kinds of wildfowers and things. It almost seems like my way of thinking is much to "big" for other threads- most of what I am planting is considered invasive by many gardeners. Rest assured, I AM continuing to do my research diligently, and avoiding those plants on my state's bad lists, as well as those that might cause problems for my neighbors. I'd really like to talk with others who are working in these kinds of larger areas.

I put a link to some pics below- they comprise maybe one tenth of my space. Anyone have any thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: Puff's space, take one

Comments (5)

• john_mo
    18 years ago

Hmm...whether or not your site is a 'prairie' is hard to tell, since I couldn't access your photo site and don't knwo what you have been planting. It is certainly large enough for you to develop some extensive prairie-type habitat. Speaking for myself (and probably for most of the other participants in this site), 'prairie gardening' is an attempt to reproduce the type of mixed grass and forb community that occurred naturally in central and east central North America.

Based on this viewpoint, I would hope you would go beyond avoiding noxious weeds and move towards actively selecting native prairie grasses and forbs. Southern Michigan was on the north-east margin of the tallgrass prairie region, so you should be able to find a good list of native prairie plants that can be used to guide you in plant selection. Some native prairie species can indeed be quite aggressive, but the size of your area should allow you to plant just about any sort of native that is adapted to your soil and climate conditions.

An alternative viewpoint that also makes up part of this forum is simply to develop a meadow type plantings that are not necessarily native. Non-native meadows can be beautiful and they can provide signficant benefits to wildlife (another common thread in this forum). I don't personally recommend this approach, but if you do I hope you will avoid the 'meadow-in-a-can' seed vendors. These generic seed mixes typically contain few 'real wildflowers" (native perennials), they are usually dominated by weedy annuals, and they often include invasive exotic species. They are unlikely to produce a desirable stable meadow community and they may introduce problem species for yourself and your neighbors.

• pufftrinket
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you so much! I think I am beginning to understand the different viewpoints a little better.

• joepyeweed
    18 years ago

sure you can have a 5 acre prairie. i would much rather see someone grow 5 acres of prairie grass and flowers than see someone grow 5 acres of turf grass.

some might call a smaller planting a meadow. or just a prairie landscape. but does it really mater what the semantics are? enjoy and have fun.

• mikeLHS68
    18 years ago

Dittos on all points to John and Joepye

• Elaine_NJ6
    18 years ago

Hey, I have two 200-square-foot prairies, so I don't know why you can't have one on 5 acres. In that expanse you've probably got some different habitats--slightly wetter, slightly drier areas--that would lend themselves to different plant communities. As the previous posters said, research the native prairie in your area. Also research your land in all seasons and see what's already there. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting