Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ironweed

Posted by livingdedgrrl z5 OH (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 24, 08 at 2:09

FINALLY! There is one lone Ironweed plant growing in my horse pasture. I've seen them everywhere else but my house and now I have one. I love this thing!

Obviously, I live in the country. In my flowerbeds, I let wildflowers grow where I haven't planted anything (and I often let the more decorative wildflowers fill in around my other flowers).

I would like to move this Ironweed to where I can see it. I have loads of butterflies and hummingbirds that come and I've read that they like this plant, too. Is there a way to transplant this Ironweed without killing it? Should I wait until Spring? Do it now? Don't do it and just collect seed?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ironweed

I am jealous. Ironweed is one wildflower that I do not yet have in my garden. I would wait until fall, and then dig it and move it. I'd scatter seed in the dirt you just dug. Apparently that spot has the right moisture, aspect, soil, etc for this great plant.

o

That's a good idea about reseeding the spot. Now that I think about it, it's growing right on the edge of where rain water runs off (our property is on a hill) and that also happens to be near where I dump the old water from the water bucket that I leave out there.

Cool! Thanks!

o

I probably would not dig the plant up, but I would collect seeds from it. When it goes to seed, collect some and put the seeds where you want it grow. I would just tamp the seeds lightly into the soil this fall and cover with mulch. Mark the spot so you can watch for it in the spring.

o

pseudacris_crucifer sent you e-mail:) i have Ironweed-Vernonia altissima seeds.
i agree with joepyeweed its best to plant seeds than to move the plant.

o

I think you could move the plant. Since you have only one, I might try to find a nearby pasture that has lots and ask if you can move one. I think most pasture owners would be happy to part with one. I'd dig a ball of soil with the plant in, cut the plant back to about two feet tall, plant, and water for the remainder of the summer. I don't think this will be a difficult plant to move, and you'll have a much larger plant next summer if you tranplant instead of start from seed. They usually like moist sites, but will do fine with good soil and average moisture.

o

This is one of the most hardy natives in the upper Midwest. Go ahead and dig it up in the fall. Prune the stems so they only have a few leaves, and let the root system establish itself in its new location.

o

I have heard from a man who is a wildflower guru around where I live and he says that ironweed seeds need to be hardened by heat to germinate the same way one stratifies with cold other seeds. So the sprouts are really late germinating. I do not have much luck with regular ironweed but I gets lots of sprouts off of wooly ironweed seeds. I am real good at passing on hearsay. Hope it helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here