Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
northern ireland- is this hog weed?

Posted by DavidMcE551 northern ireland (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 9, 12 at 10:10

HI ALL, NEW TO THE FORUM- IM LIVING IN NORTHERN IRELAND. THIS WEED/PLANT WAS TAKEN FROM A GLEN NEARBY AND I PLANTED IT IN MY GARDEN. iT WAS ABOUT 30 CM LONGEST LEAF AND ABOUT 4 CM HIGH WHEN I PLANTED IT IN APRIL 2012. iTS NOW ABOUT 2,5 METRES TALL AND GROWING.

MY DAD SAID TO WATCH OUT COS IT COULD BE GIANT HOGWEED WHICH CAN MESS UP YOUR SKIN-

CAN SOMEONE IDENTIFY PLEASE?
I'LL POST MORE PICS IN A MINUTE

Follow-Up Postings:

o
more pics-northern ireland- is this hog weed?

PIC1

o
RE: northern ireland- is this hog weed?

PIC2- LEAVES

o

PIC 3- STEM (REALLY THICK)

o

PIC 4- HEIGHT AT ABOUT 250 CM OR 2 AND A HALF METRES

o

It isn't Giant Hogweed, David. I believe you have Angelica sylvestris, Wild Angelica. But there are several similar plants which are poisonous so don't start nibbling at it from my id.

BTW for future reference it is an offence in the UK and NI to uproot any wild plant without the permission of the landowner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild angelica

o

i dig up plants all the time out of the woods and bring them
to my house butterfly milk weed flower roots are about 3 to 5 inches down so i advise you to take a big shovel to dig them up and don't brake the roots keep them wet after digging them up also you may have to wait for a year til you get to see them flower

those flowers in your picture have long roots too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here