Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maximillian Sunflower

Posted by Vera_EWASH z5 EasternWA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 4, 04 at 11:00

Hello and good mornin'

I started my Max's indoors using the moist coffee-filter/baggie method and got them out as soon as they germinated early spring...I have 6 survivors now about 4 1/2 ft. tall, healthy green and bushy. Lately I've been seeing some problem with the lower leaves. A brown (usually crispy)spot with yellowing around it will appear and eventually the whole leaf will crisp up.
Is this just older leaves doing what they do or ?

Thanks,

Vera

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maximillian Sunflower

Don't be concerned with this leaf color thing, It happens as the plant grows.

And boy does it grow! Watch out. On the dry plains of Kansas the species behaves itself, for lack of moisture. But move the plant to an area with 40 inches of precip (such as here in Ohio) and the plant explodes in giant colonies the chemically overtake everything that surrounds it. Like most perennial sunflowers, Maximillian's is strongly allelopathic, meaning that it produces plant-killing chemicals in its leaves and stems. Unless forceably restrained, the plant can take over an area with moderate to high moisture. Watch out. In a year or two, you may not be so excited by this aggressive plant.

o

Thanks John...

I know it is aggressive and for that reason do not have it planted in my wildflower area...rather it is planted in another area grown with reseeding native annuals like Plains Coreopsis and a few non-natives like Love-Lies-Bleeding and Mountain Garland. I needed to give the fenced in dog area some summer shade plus it acts like a screen from my neighbors view of this area.
Here we are lucky to get rain at all during summer...so far 9" of rain and that was early spring.

Thanks again :)

Vera

o

so far 9" of rain and that was early spring--that will change in the next couple of days

o

Hi Pasadena...I hope so!

You still get more rain in the Pullman area then us...
every rain we were supposed to get over the last 2 weeks has gone right around us! We was supposed to get some rain last night in a thunderstorm system that was coming from the South of us and sure enough just as it reached Rosalia it split and by-passed us again! Today was the same darn deal. I believe our annual average ranges somewhere around 20"

Vera

o

actually I'm not in Pullman, but 150 miles to the west where we get 9" a year total, and a lot of that snow.

Thanks for the info on the Maximillian Sunflower. I was wondering whether it would be worth it to plant and your experience leads me to add to the list for next year.

o

I don't know why but I always thought you was in Pullman/Moscow area...sheesh! Yep.. most of our moisture is snow too. I think last winter was the most snow we had in years.
Well good news anyways...we got a little rain today! I'm happy but the farmers might not be in the middle of harvest!

I don't have very many of the Max. planted and most will either likely be dead-headed with a few left for the gazillion birds and browsing deer.

Vera

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here