Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atomicskier

choosing trees for high plains in WY

atomicskier
11 years ago

Hi all,

we've just landed a hunk of land in southeast Wyoming and I want to get some trees growing as soon as I can but I'm not sure what to choose. We're at 7600 feet on the plains. The way the land is shaped there are two drainages that don't have visible water in them, but we're at the foot of a huge plateau so I'm thinking we get regular run off. We are not allowed to alter the drainage (e.g. making a retention pond) but we can plant whatever we want.

Even in this extreme hot and dry weather the drainages seem to maintain green grass and some little bitty green shrubs. I'm hopeful that this means there is some water to be had for starting trees. We'll be a long way from putting in a well so any other water will be hauled and right now we're at the property every 1-2 weeks.

Given that information, can you suggest some faster growing trees that might have a chance? properties near us have scrubby bushes and some with seasonal creeks have plains Cottonwoods. we just have grass and cactus.

I'd love ideas on tree varieties to try and ideas for keeping them watered if we're only able to be there every two weeks. we really want something faster growing (probably not evergreen).

many thanks!

Mark

Comments (2)