Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
choosing trees for high plains in WY

Posted by atomicskier WY (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 13:55

Hi all,
we've just landed a hunk of land in southeast Wyoming and I want to get some trees growing as soon as I can but I'm not sure what to choose. We're at 7600 feet on the plains. The way the land is shaped there are two drainages that don't have visible water in them, but we're at the foot of a huge plateau so I'm thinking we get regular run off. We are not allowed to alter the drainage (e.g. making a retention pond) but we can plant whatever we want.
Even in this extreme hot and dry weather the drainages seem to maintain green grass and some little bitty green shrubs. I'm hopeful that this means there is some water to be had for starting trees. We'll be a long way from putting in a well so any other water will be hauled and right now we're at the property every 1-2 weeks.
Given that information, can you suggest some faster growing trees that might have a chance? properties near us have scrubby bushes and some with seasonal creeks have plains Cottonwoods. we just have grass and cactus.
I'd love ideas on tree varieties to try and ideas for keeping them watered if we're only able to be there every two weeks. we really want something faster growing (probably not evergreen).

many thanks!
Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: choosing trees for high plains in WY

Recommend you ask this question on the "trees" forum. Include information on approximate "Zone" and annual rainfall of your property. How long does water run in the drainage channels?

Cottonwoods and Bur Oaks grow out west along creeks. We have a host of other trees in Texas that might work, but am unsure about how high they normally grow and cold-hardiness way up in Wyoming. Ask on the trees forum and someone more familiar with your conditions and area will likely chime in.
One note : typically drought-resistant trees are not fast growing.

o
RE: choosing trees for high plains in WY

Any tree will probably take water the first year or two to get started. Once they get their roots down they'll be able to draw on water stored in the soil from winter precipitation. Wild fires should be one of your major concerns; you will want to get advice from local agencies for planting recommendations.

If I had a source of water, I'd plant the cottonwoods (or aspens), bur oak, and most likely ponderosa pine. That's what we have here more or less.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here