Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steven123_gw

Polkweed in Native Grasses

steven123
13 years ago

I planted 60 acres in native grasses and forbs in Kentucky on June 15 of this year. I did two sprayings and got a good kill on the weeds that were growing at the time before drilling the native seed. I have a few questions that I would like some opinions on:

1. Polkweed came up very thick in several places. I can mow it above the grasses right now, but I will be mowing down my Illinois Bundleflower and Partridge Pea which are very tall now. Spot spraying might work, but it would take forever on acreage this large. Any suggestions on how to handle this problem now and for the future?

2. I have mixed results. Some places have an excellent stand of grasses and forbs with few weeds while other places in the same fields have hardly anything coming up. I understand about seed dormancy, and I am told that these bare places might actually fill in well next spring. Anyone ever see this happen?

3. I planted most fields with a tall grass mix, but planted one in shortgrass (Little Bluestem, Virginia Wild Rye, Side Oats Grama and forbs). Can a shortgrass mix like this realistically compete with tall weeds which are sure to come up in the future?

4. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance - Steven

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms