Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting little bluestem in the northwest

Posted by frank0976 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 24, 06 at 23:32

I am planting on a hill ,about 100ft by 130ft.Would appreciate any advice about planting times,care ,ect.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting little bluestem in the northwest

I have no experience with seeding on a slope, but I direct sowed my LBS in November 2003 around Thanksgiving and the first snow fall. I had good germination the first summer and even more germination the next.

Vera

o

depending on the hill slope, there are a few techniques that i use.

planting into the first snow of the year is a great choice.
not putting so much seed at the bottom and more at the top and letting gravity work.
i dont move soil on slopes. killing with roundup and then planting directly into the duff is definately the way to go.
and dont be suprised that u will be seeding this a few times over the years, filling in where gravity has taken away.
u have roughly 13000 sq ft.
depending on how dense u want the LBS, i would seed it at 5-10lbs/acre for nuthing but LBS. that means about 2-3 lbs over the course of 2-3 years would be more than enough.

im sure i will be looked down on when i say this but...
a deep stand of LBS could be managed with fire in the fall and 2-4D for broadleaf management until the stand is strong enough on its own.

froggy

o

I got my eye on you Froggy LOL!!

Vera

o

Just a Q...As much as I love LBS, is it NATIVE to your region? and Does it make a difference? What about your local genotype grasses? Best regards.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here