Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mollyavalon_gw

What's safe to plant? (long, newbie, sorry)

mollyavalon
18 years ago

Hi folks,

We are building a house on 79 acres of mixed pasture and woodland in NE Kansas. Next year we want to start returning the old pastures to prairie. We are just learning what to do - this is all new to us - and we'll have help from the state and the county extension.

Right now, we're trying to get foundation plantings in around the house. My MIL was a landscape designer most of her working life, and she has drawn up a planting plan for us. She is quite unhappy that I asked her to choose as many native plant materials as possible, because that is not how she has ever worked before. In fact, she was always looking for the interesting and exotic.

I have two questions to the forum:

1. Can you recommend any sites/books that can help me identify what NOT to plant? I've got quite a few books that tell what to plant, and some mention possible invasives in passing, but I could use more information.

2. Are there any plants on this list that you would consider an absolute no-no if you are trying to keep a very conservative garden by the prairie?

viburnum opulis or mariesi, shasta viburnum, cotoneaster horizontalis, sedum, sumac, liriope, fountain grass, boxwood, whitebud, potentilla, creeping thyme, creeping dianthus, cutleaf sumac, sergeants crab, white pine, blue spruce, catalpa.

Comments (4)

Sponsored