Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catbackr

transplanting native grasses

flatlander
20 years ago

I have a number of little bluestem and prairie dropseed plants that are well established. Unfortunately I need to move them. Can they be transplanted? If so, best time of year, can i divide them during the move, etc, etc.

Comments (10)

• Tern
    20 years ago

I've done this several times. They transplant and divide fine; just water them well when you replant them. The hardest part with the native grasses is actually digging them up; the root systems are so strong.

• birkie
    20 years ago

I have transplanted many of the native grasses and find it works best to dig, divide, and plant as early in the spring as you can manage to take advantage of the cool temps and rains.

• Elaine_NJ6
    20 years ago

Definitely in spring. And divide as much as you want. But if you do it in fall, they don't get estblished before the ground freezes and then you get frost heaving. These are tough plants, but slow to get established.

• familynewsletterlady
    20 years ago

I have never transplanted little bluestem, but I had a disappointing experience with Indian grass. I dug up a healthy plant and divided it in the spring. It fared very poorly. One of the divisions struggled but made it through the summer, but the other didn't. I presume that I must have left too much of the root system in the ground when I dug it up--it's pretty extensive.

• vbain
    20 years ago

I think fall would also work well. As the plants are beginning to go dormant, there is less risk of cutting off new roots. In the spring, they will begin to make new roots in the new place long before you see growth on top.

• Doctorant
    20 years ago

I'm with the late winter - very early spring transplanters. The plants seem to be able to regenerate the root system very well at that time. So, no need to dig to the full depth of the root system (4-5 ft), just one spade depth will do.

• mina
    20 years ago

I have posted this question on the native plant forums but only got one answer, so sorry if I highjack your thread here.

I have read recently that if one transplants warm-season native grasses in fall, the root system will simply rot since they do not experience any active growth again for many months.

I had to move three clumps of northern dropseed and one of little bluestem a couple of weeks ago in zone 5, wonder if they will live?

According to Elaine on this thread, frost heaving may be my main concern. but what about this notion of rotting?

Laura

• froggy
    20 years ago

i find domant season planting best.

dec-april here in z4/5

what i have been doing for a few years;
    id a clump of any grass u wanna multiply and dig it up so that its seperated from the ground but still an intact root ball.
    then i mulch em in good to overwinter. in the early spring, do what is called 'sweating', u can see all the newly forming plantlets in a few days. just rip a few together and set them in the 2 and 1/2 by 3in seeding trays. i usually grow em out 1 year but u could plant them in a few weeks. i like to put in large plants. larger the better for grasses.

u will be suprised how fast they grow to maturity. mostly 1st year. much faster than seed.

• ericwi
    20 years ago

I transplanted indian grass and sweet grass last fall, and
    all of these made it through the winter and are now est-
    ablished. However, the growth this past spring and summer
    was only moderate, not luxuriant.

• froggy
    20 years ago

i like that word "luxuriant" ...im gonna use it :)

thanks eric

froggy

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County