Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
prairie and management

Posted by jessicagarden wi (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 23, 10 at 14:09

I have grasses and wildflowers in about 1 acre of our yard. I want to mow it this year. To what height should I mow it? What is a good mowing schedule? I'm not ready to burn but will probably do that in 1-2 years. I also need a good prairie management book recommendation if you could. Thank you so much, J.Oliver

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: prairie and management

Mow low; quite low, in fact. If you want the wildflowers, you won't be able to mow except yearly (fall).

I found The "Tallgrass Restoration Handbook" by
Cornelia F. Mutel and Stephen Packard to be the best source.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings Blog

o
RE: prairie and management

How old is the planting and what is the reason for the mowing. If its relatively new planting, less than 4yrs old, then one can assume the mowing is for weed control. If you are mowing for weedcontrol, then the timing of the mow is critical. If you are mowing for weed control, typically you will mow 3 times, with 21 day intervals inbetween the mowings, with the first mowing taking place when the weeds you are mowing are just starting thier seed heads. You can mow high if it is for weed control.

I have a 5 acre restoration in progress.(4 years old) Most of it I dont need to mow anymore, but I still have about 1 acre thats a problem for me. I burned this year, but I burned too early. Thats a problem also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here