Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Bouteloua curtipendula (side oats grama) from seed?

Posted by adidas 6/7 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 9:15

Hello.

Is this possible?

I have a couple of packets of Bouteloua curtipendula seed (maybe 6000 seeds in all). I have no heavy machinery and know ABSOLUTELY nothing about sowing grasses. If I scatter the seed in a "meadowy" patch....the area is limestone and very rocky....it is already filled w/solidago sp., dogbane, meadow type grasses will the seed germinate and grow? Is it absolutely necessary to till and remove all other existing plant populations?

Thanks for any input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Bouteloua curtipendula (side oats grama) from seed?

Of course not. Tilling and weeding doesn't happen in the wild, does it?

To get the best sprouting, pick bare or less-populated patches and scratch the dirt with a rake, then scatter some seed and rake it in a bit.

o
RE: Growing Bouteloua curtipendula (side oats grama) from seed?

Thank-you Lazy! You are, of course, correct :) I am thinking of throwing in a packet of Bouteloua curtipendula and a packet of castilleja coccinea together and seeing what happens....

The previous owners put down a bunch of hay as a weed blocker...only prob is that this hay seeded itself and in the middle of the summer it comes to life and smothers everything! I've been trying to pull it out but the seeds just keep on germinating.....hope the grama and paintbrushes can compete w/this stuff!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here