Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theresa2_gw

Burning prairie in fall verses spring

theresa2
13 years ago

Do you think burning in fall really helps to set back grasses in favor of forbs. If so, what is the science. I was thinking maybe it's because burning in fall prevents grasses from reseeding. But it seems to me that you are also burning forb seeds as well. I'm trying to decide how to manage my prairie this year. I have three small sections on a 1/2 acre lot. Every year I rotate by burning two and mowing one in the spring. The mowed section cuttings are laid out along the roadside to proliferate native reseeding in that area and to rescue insects that may be living on the vegetation. There just seems to be so much disagreement on prairie management. I'm going to try a fall burn in one section this year but would like to know from others what their experience has been. I guess I prefer a spring burn because I like the look of standing vegetation over winter and I like that the blackened earth in spring warms the soil to start spring growth. I fully understand that burning is primarily used to suppress woody vegetation and manage unwanted invasives, but I think there are other advantages to doing a controlled burn. Not sure how my management is affecting the diversity of my prairie, but I'd like to hear from others.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012