Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Meadow' hell strip grasses for Southern California?

Posted by KathyY44 sunset 20-21 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 23, 04 at 11:14

Hi,
I am planting a 5'x13' parking strip that is ajacent to a neighbor's lawn. On the California gardening forum many very helpful plants were mentioned and led to the idea of a "meadow". Won't be native only but there are California poppies and love in a mist self seeding that would look much better growing among grasses.

I have had a great time researching the past couple of days and have come up with some grasses that are bunch, green, low growing and hopefully adaptable to my climate. I would water once a month if needed to keep grasses looking like they are unmown lawn continuing from the lawn next door. I understand a lot of these aren't really meadow grasses but this isn't really going to be a large project, just a suggestion of a meadow.

Carex pansa
Carex praegraclis
Eyelash grass
Idaho fescue -variety?
Melica imperfecta
Poa scabrella
Seslaria heufleriana

Any further suggestions? Any experience in my long warm dry summer and damp short winter climate with any of these? I am concerned about seeds being a nuisance as with Stipa.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Meadow' hell strip grasses for Southern California?

Please check out Prairie Moon nursery, and Prairie Nursery...I'm sure they can help you get your "hell strip" up and running! April

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here