Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seamommy

Getting Started

seamommy
17 years ago

Well, I already have a natural meadow of sorts, but I wanted to introduce a few new native flowers to the area. The instructions I got from Wildflower Farms recommends killing all the existing vegetation in order to eliminate the weeds, but I don't want to wipe out the verbena, Indian paintbrush and the little white flowers(I don't know what they are) because they are very nice, just very sparse. I mostly have buffalo grass, agave and bluestem.

The advice I got seems very wrong to me. In fact, looking at the area yesterday I can see seedlings of wildflowers already starting and most are about 1/2 to 3/4" tall already. Since I'm looking at an area of a little over an acre on a gentle east-facing slope, I'm not thinking about hand weeding either.

So my question is, would raking the area lightly to remove grass thatch be enough to provide wildflower seeds a toe-hold? One book I have been reading recommends adding amendments to the soil, but I also thought that the wildflowers did better in the natural soil. So what works best? I'm in zone 7b, about 20 miles west of Fort Worth, Texas, rocky soil and light rainfall in summer and sometimes heavy rains in winter.

Cheryl

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH