Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tips to help establish Fall plantings?

Posted by mackenzie z5 Chicagoland (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 21, 05 at 13:18

While I don't have a prairie or meadow, I'm doing what I can in my front yard. I'm installing Bluestem (Big & Little), Side Oats Gramma, many flowering plants (asters, goldenrod, culver's root, etc.) and want to esure I do whatever I can to help everything establish before winter. I was going to lay down some super phosphate ferilizer on the soil surface and then mulch over that -- any thougths or suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tips to help establish Fall plantings?

no need for fertilizer - the native plants tend to not like fertilizer. some native plants are burned by fertilizers or they "over grow" turning into huge behemonths mutant plants that fall over...

o

• Posted by Pam_AA z5 Berwyn Il. (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 23, 05 at 23:03

I agree with joepye about about fertilizers.
When installing your new friends DO NOT let them dry out. That is the number one rule when planting anything. You live in the Chicago area same as me and we are still in the middle of a horrid drought. Make sure they have plenty of moisture till at least early summer next year. The mulch will be most useful in that task. After that natives can pretty much look after themselves.
There are natives that have evolved to live in damp soils such as Culver's root, Mallows, etc., I water those once and the while and plant them closest to the downspouts of the house.
Make sure the grasses have full-full sun and lots of room, perhaps 2 1/2-3 Ft. apart.

o

Thanks for the tips.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here