Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agkistrodon

More recommendations please!

agkistrodon
9 years ago

Is there a grass for this? Location: N. VA mtns...Appalachian mtns. A small area that remains wet year round, shaded for part of the day as it is between the main house and the garage. The area is filled w/moss and has some damp loving sedges and rushes trying to populate it along w/goldenrod. Those are the species I def. want to keep...at the same time it becomes jam packed w/stiltgrass, Canada thistle and a couple of other terribly weedy things like smartweed and something else...name fails me.... and these species tend to block out the things I do want. I weed this area out every yr but am wondering if there is a cold season grass that might grow in such an area that would complement...not replace...the things I want to keep. I wouldn't mind if the sedge took over the whole area but it's slow to spread and doesn't seem to be able to compete well w/the weeds. So I thought a grass might slow the weeds down while allowing the desirable species to get a better toe-hold. I do not want to introduce any invasives as this place has enough but I don't mind aggressive if it allows the other species to thrive. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus