Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beckylc1989

Prairie planting screwed up--any advice?

beckylc
18 years ago

We have a 30x100 ft. area in our back yard that we prepared all summer for a fall prairie planting (Roundup sprayed 4 times). The landscape folks proposed to broadcast the seed, "lightly rake it in," roll it, and spread erosion fabric since it's on a slight south slope. I asked if they'd let me know when they were coming so I could be here to make sure it was done right (based on past experiences). Last Saturday there were two guys bright and early in the back yard spreading the erosion fabric (some kind of mesh with straw in between). Which means that the seed had been put down sometime the day before. They didn't call, they didn't rake it in, they didn't roll it. Honestly, I could live with all of that, but my major concern is how much of the seed blew away between when they broadcast and when they put down the erosion fabric.

The ground was bare and flat. We live on the edge of farm fields, so there is nothing to break the wind, and it was blowing pretty heavily Saturday morning, so probably also on Friday. I'm virtually certain that anything light and fluffy blew, which probably means most of the grasses. So--what to do now? There is no chance that the landscape people will make it right, so I'm looking for what I can do. I contemplated trying to roll up the erosion fabric this weekend and put more seed down, but it's raining. I'm not sure it will roll up, even if it dries out in a week or so. Should I just let it go, mow it regularly next summer as normal, and broadcast more seed next fall into whatever has germinated? I'm concerned that without the proper number of *good* seeds down, that the weeds will get too much of a foothold. What would any of you do?

Comments (4)

• joepyeweed
    18 years ago

are you sure there is no chance the landscape people will make it right? Have you paid them in full? Some written correspondence explaining your concerns to see what their response is, before you pay them. thats the first thing that I would do.

Another option is to seed on top of the blanket. Realizing that you will not get as much soil/seed contact but as it over winters, snow, rain and frost will work the seed down into the blanket and hopefully to the soil.

I probably would not attempt to roll up the blanket myself just because its a lot of work, with all the staples etc. if the landscape company wants to fix it - that is what they should do.

• beckylc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for your reply. These guys have done work for me before, and our relationship is on shaky ground. Long story. Luckily, I have not paid them a cent, but I suspect things are going to get ugly before I do. I've been in contact with the person who helped me with the seed mix, and she is supposed to be coming out here to look at it. I'm not sure what she's going to see--how can they tell how much of the seed disappeared before the erosion blanket went down? If there is any chance of the seed filtering down through the straw, I like your idea--at least I can do it now without a lot of work. Got any opinion on when's the best time to do it? Wet vs. dry vs. right before a rain vs. right before a snow?

• RUDE_RUDY
    18 years ago

Its a shame that in trying to create something good, you have to go through this .
    If you had an understanding with your contractor as to the procedure you expected them to follow, you have every right to expect them to perform as agreed if they want to be paid as agreed.
    I would ask them what they intend to do to make this right.
    Wait till they respond and base your next step on that.
    Once they respond, I would at the least tell them to remove the erosion fabric to rake and roll the soil as agreed, and try to get them to add additional seed at that time.
    while they have the fabric up, I would purchase more of a seed mix from a good local supplier and incorporate that into the soil as well before replacing the fabric.
    Typically, the grass seed is the least expensive componant of the prairie seed mix, and you are better off underplanting grasses than over planting. Grasses can always be interseeded later.
    The squeeky wheel is the one that gets oiled...
    This does not need to be a disaster.

• achang89
    18 years ago

Well, I understand your conern and frustration. But there is not a lot you can do. If you were on shaky ground with before, you should not have hired them. For the work quality, there is no definite proof that they did anything wrong. I do not think that the contract will require them to inform you before they do their work. It will only make things worse if you have another person examine their work.

When you hire a contractor to do something that hard to judge, you'll have to take it or leave it. They might have done it right and you are just over-concerned. If they do not, the only thing you can do is not to hire them again.

Wish you the good luck..

Sponsored