Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
replacing lawn with low maint

Posted by kfeer 5 high desert OR (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 16:06

We live in high-desert OR at about 4300 feet. Strong sun, chilly nights, cold winters. HATE watering and mowing a lawn, but need a good fire break and a little natural pretty. Looking to do something that will be low maintenance and drought/cold tolerant. We need to have firebreak about 50-70 feet around house. Have even considered going all stone, but not sure I want to store all the heat near the house since we don't have AC. Looking for ideas - easiest way to transition? Best plants to plant? Want casual/natural looking - natural growers here are lodgepole pines, ponderosa pines, rabbit brush, bitter brush, bunch grass (none of these are suitable for the "lawn" area, but giving an idea of what we have here in the area) HELP!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: replacing lawn with low maint

I am a zone 8b girl so I have no idea what works up there where you are, but there are some short drought hardy native grasses like buffalo grass, some gramas, curly mesquite grass. What grasses grow in short grass praries in your Zone and area? I did bump into a grass provider from that area of the country. Their name does escape me but I think google might cough them up.

No AC... what a dream for me. Me I let the native grow . I have no lawn, just native grasses and whatever moves in..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here