Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milieu_serene

Please ID this grass in Southeast Georgia

milieu_serene
14 years ago

Please help me identify this grass.

It is growing in a field of ours in Southeast Georgia. It is a "bunch" grass of sorts with a fairly large bunch, about a foot or so in diameter, at the base. It has the thin purple stalks with seeds growing in an airy bunch from the clump of grass blades. It seems to be pretty invasive if left alone but is absolutely stunning with the sun shinning on the morning dew.

A picture of the grass in the field 09-28-09

A closer look at the purple grass in the field 09-28-09

Comments (6)

• milieu_serene
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The link below has other wild flower blooms in the fall along with a few of our Encore azaleas.

These are some more wild bloomers. I believe the yellow is golden rod. I'm not sure what the purple is. I DO KNOW the Butterflies love it all. You can just see some tall grass in the pictures - I think we always used to call this broom sedge but not sure.

The Wild field 09-28-09

The purple fennel type 09-28-09

The yellow --- see the butterflies?? 09-28-09

Pic 2 The yellow --- see the butterflies?? 09-28-09

Here is a link that might be useful: 2009 Fall Farm Blooms

• hortster
    14 years ago

The grass might possibly be Panicum capillare, witchgrass or ticklegrass. Take a peek at the link.
    hortster

Here is a link that might be useful:

• milieu_serene
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your response. This does look a lot like it. I think there is a good chance it is the Panicum capillare L See this description below from http://herbarium.usu.edu/webmanual/info2.asp?name=Panicum_capillare&type=treatment

The "tumbleweed" appearance is definitely descriptive of what I am seeing as well as the habitat.

2. Panicum capillare L.
    Witchgrass, Panic Capillaire

Plants annual; hirsute or hispid, hairs papillose-based, often bluish or purplish. Culms 15-130 cm, slender to stout, not woody, erect to decumbent, straight to zigzag, simple to profusely branched; nodes sparsely to densely pilose. Sheaths rounded, hirsute or hispid, hairs papillose-based; ligules membranous, ciliate, cilia 0.5-1.5 mm; blades 5-40 cm long, 3-18 mm wide, linear, spreading. Panicles 13-50 cm long, 7-24 cm wide, usually more than 1/2 as long as the plants, included at the base or exserted at maturity, disarticulating at the base of the peduncles at maturity and becoming a tumbleweed; branches spreading; pedicels 0.5-2.8 mm, scabrous, pilose. Spikelets 1.9-4 mm, ellipsoid to lanceoloid, often red-purple, glabrous. Lower florets sterile; lower glumes 1/3-1/2 as long as the spikelets, 1-3-veined; upper glumes 1.8-3.1 mm, 7-9-veined, midveins scabridulous; lower lemmas 1.9-3 mm, extending 0.4-1.1 mm beyond the upper florets, often stiff, straight, prominently veined distally; upper florets stramineous or nigrescent, sometimes with a prominent lunate scar at the base, often disarticulating before the glumes, leaving the empty glumes and lower lemmas temporarily persisting on the panicles. 2n = 18.

Panicum capillare grows in open areas, particularly in disturbed sites such as fields, pastures, roadsides, waste places, ditches, sand, rock crevices, etc. It grows throughout temperate North America, including northern Mexico. It also grows in Bermuda, the Virgin Islands, and sporadically in South America, and has become naturalized in much of Europe and Asia. It appears to hybridize with P. philadelphicum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Panicum capillare L

• ronkw
    14 years ago

Could it be purpletop?

Here is a link that might be useful: Tridens flavus

• milieu_serene
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I believe it may be that tumble weed as the heights do not exceed 1 foot. Thanks for your efforts and for your response.

• theresa2
    14 years ago

Could it be Purple Love Grass (Eragrostis spectabilis)? The ones I've seen seldom exceed 1 foot tall.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths