Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midwesternerr

Final Preperations

midwesternerr
15 years ago

I'm making a final (well, I hope) roundup spray of my new bed in a week or so. I guess after that it's just time to see which seeds I have that are useable and purchase some others.

The site is lawn grass to the open side and a building to the back (closed side). Due to the building, the site doesn't get morning sun, but does get full sun in the afternoon. The building is white, so in the afternoon (after about 11:30 am) I would describe the sun as pretty intense and hot. For this reason, I am somewhat conflicted on what species to seed. It seems like the area is too hot with the afternoon sun for most woodland species, but does it have enough sun for prairie species.

I've collected seeds from some "woodland edge" species such as purple coneflower and some sunflowers I found growing in such conditions (exact ID is kind of tough as there are several in my area that all seem pretty similar) as I thought it might be a good fit. What other species are good bets? The soil is average, midwestern garden soil and doesn't have long periods of standing water. I'd say it gets pretty dry during the summer.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area