Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? about sowing grass seeds

Posted by adidas 6/7 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 22:20

I left a sheet of plywood outside this summer and it pretty much killed all the grass under it. Now, if I were to sow some seeds (native grass seeds) in this patch and covered them w/burlap til spring....would these seeds germinate? Is this a viable method for sowing grasses? It's a very small area but then I really have very few seeds...just hoping that over time this grass will spread.

Thanks for any input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? about sowing grass seeds

I would suggest simply sowing the seeds over the top-broadcast them and leave them be. Freeze/thaw cycles over the winter will act to place the seeds in exactly the right position for spring germination. Do this after there is no chance of these seeds germinating anymore this year. In my area, that's roughly mid-October onward. Your Z6/7 location suggests it may be a bit later where you are.

+oM

o

Thank-you for your input! I will do as you suggest....however, I have a very active deer and kid population. The deer stomp everywhere and my kids...well, they're worse than the deer! So I still think covering the area (til Spring) w/burlap might help to at least keep the kids away! Is there any reason NOT to cover til Spring to further protect the seeds?

Thanks!

o

Interesting question. We do sometimes sow seed in late fall, sometimes known as "frost seeding". The objective is to sow the seed late enough in the year that there is no chance of germination until the following spring. Sometimes, depending on slope, etc. we may place erosion mats or other mulch over this seeding, so based on that, I'd say leaving the burlap in place over winter should be okay. The only caveat is that many seeds like some sunlight hitting them to spur germination. So there may be some impact there. Perhaps as light a type of burlap as possible wouild be best.

+oM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here